You are here
Student Opinion of Faculty/Evaluation of Course(s) Policies and Procedures
SUNY Potsdam maintains Student Opinion of Faculty evaluations, which includes Blackboard evaluation. These policies and procedures are designed to foster continuous improvements in teaching effectiveness, by
- providing students with the best possible educational experience; and
- enhance positive personnel decisions for academic employees.
Policies and Procedures for Student Opinion of Faculty Evaluation of Courses:
- Student Opinion of Faculty evaluations are the property of the academic employee.
The College will release them to the academic employee who is the instructor of record, only after the final grades for the courses are posted.
- Student Opinion of Faculty evaluation serves two purposes:
- Formative, by providing constructive feedback to the academic employee.
- Summative, as evidence of the teaching effectiveness criterion for personnel actions such as reappointment, promotion, and/or continuing appointment consideration.
Academic employees who are candidates for a personnel action (e.g. reappointment, continuing appointment, promotion) without continuing appointment (including visiting and adjunct faculty members) need to provide evidence of teaching effectiveness, which includes Student Opinion of Faculty evaluations, for the time period of the personnel review.
Academic employees with continuing appointment requesting promotion are required to provide evidence of teaching effectiveness, which includes Student Opinion of Faculty evaluations, for at least the prior three years of teaching.
Academic employees may request colleagues, the department chair or dean to review evidence of teaching effectiveness at any time. In addition, the College may require submission of Student Opinion of Faculty evaluations from academic employees during consideration for specific personnel actions, such as discretionary salary review, where an academic employee?s performance may be relevant for consideration. Student Opinion of Faculty evaluations from academic employees with qualified academic rank shall be reviewed in accordance with College policies.
At times other than when under consideration for personnel actions, academic employees with continuing appointment are strongly encouraged to solicit Student Opinion of Faculty evaluations for formative purposes.
Procedures for Secure Storage of Student Opinion of Faculty Forms
- At a scheduled class meeting within the final two weeks of classes, the academic employee will provide students with the appropriate Student Opinion of Faculty evaluation forms, an envelope, and allocate at least 15 minutes for students to complete the form. Prior to designating a proctor or distributing materials, the academic employee should write his/her name and the course number on the envelope.
- The academic employee should designate a student proctor and then leave the room. The proctor distributes the form and reads the following directions:
- Please complete the form provided to record your opinion of the faculty member.
- Please read the directions on the Student Opinion of Faculty form.
- Please take these Student Opinion of Faculty forms seriously, as they may be used for purposes of curriculum and course assessment and revision, as well as personnel evaluation.
- Student Opinion of Faculty forms will not be released by the College to the faculty member until after final grades are posted by the Registrar?s Office.
- The proctor should then collect completed and uncompleted forms, seal them in the envelope, sign the back of the envelope, and deliver them to the Provost?s Office, Raymond 712.
- The College will provide computerized processing if required. Processed forms and those not requiring processing will be secured in locked storage in sealed envelopes at the designated administrative office until the Registrar posts the final grades. Academic employees will be notified when they may pick up the forms in Stillman Hall 105. For reasons of security, privacy and confidentiality, forms will not be left in the mailroom or any other unsecured storage space. Security in locked storage is the responsibility of the College until the academic employee accepts the material.
You may request paper copies by submitting the Student Opinion of Faculty Evaluation Request.
Blackboard Evaluations Available
The goal and intent is to provide comprehensive documentation from various sources and perspectives to afford an overview of the breadth of subject matter taught by the candidate and his/her competence in teaching. Academic employees are encouraged to solicit Student Opinion of Faculty using Blackboard, the SUNY Potsdam form, the Crane School of Music form, or another form approved by the College for every course taught each semester. Simply e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with your request for fall, Winterim, spring or summer courses. In your e-mail, please include the CRN and course identifying information for each Blackboard course that you are requesting.
For example: 83151 PSYC 100 section 001 Introduction to Psychology