You are here
Bicentennial Proposal and Funding Application
Mission and Vision
The mission of the bicentennial celebration of SUNY Potsdam is to increase awareness of and appreciation for the SUNY Potsdam experience, recognize the rich history and service of faculty, students, alumni, emeriti and friends to the institution and the region, to successfully complete the $27 million campaign.
The goals of SUNY Potsdam Bicentennial are:
- to celebrate the mission and shared history of the College
- to strengthen commitment to the College mission rooted in the liberal arts and sciences and excellence in teaching
- to widely broadcast SUNY Potsdam?s importance as a leader in the arts and a center for academic creativity
- to raise the College community?s consciousness about the institution?s mission, character and core values
- to introduce to new state, national and international audiences
- to showcase Potsdam?s commitment to a life enriched by critical thought, creativity, and discovery
- to recognize the achievements and service of faculty, emeriti, students, and alumni
- to successfully complete and publicize the $25 million campaign for Potsdam
- to define and launch the third century of SUNY Potsdam
The Bicentennial Calendar starts in July of 2015, and runs through July of 2016, encompassing a full academic year, the major milestone of Charter Day 2016, and two Reunion Weekends. We will welcome our community and friends to join us for the following College-sponsored Bicentennial celebrations and events, many of which will be further developed pending the acceptance of proposals from the Call For Proposals:
- Reunion weekend and the Potsdam Festival
- Launch of SUNY Potsdam oral histories about the college,
our alumni and the community
- Opening Convocation and Picnic
- Crane Faculty Gala
- SUNY Potsdam night at local restaurants, in partnership with the Chamber of Commerce
- Celebration of Scholarship and Creativity: Reception and signing with campus authors, performers and creators.
- Crane Candlelight Concert
- Student Leadership Conference
- Snowball Gala Dinner and Dance
- Charter Day: Celebrating 200 years of higher education
- Academic Festival
- Research and Learning Fair
- Lougheed Festival of the Arts
- Party in the Plaza
- Reunion Weekend
What would you like to see happen? View other possible events!
Submission Process, Review and Awarding of Funds
Proposals will be reviewed on a rolling basis by the Bicentennial Organizing Committee, which includes representatives from all three Schools, other campus stakeholders, and alumni. In the first round of consideration, in July 2014, the Committee will select proposals which best meet the goals of the celebration, and develop a proposed final Bicentennial calendar based on these proposals. This calendar will be presented to the President?s Council as part of the final request for funding for the Bicentennial. Additional rounds of proposals will be solicited in order to capture the enthusiasm for the event that will build as publicity begins in earnest, and successful proposals from subsequent rounds will be supported by the Bicentennial Organizing Committee as funding allows.
The Bicentennial Organizing Committee will consider proposals based on their merits and how they fulfill the overall mission of the Bicentennial Celebrations, and will solicit funding from the College to meet a requested budget based upon the approved proposals. Therefore, the overall ?fit? of the proposals into the goals of the celebration will be the primary determinant of funding.
SUNY Potsdam Bicentennial Celebrations, 2015-2016
Bicentennial Event Proposal Application
All proposals for Bicentennial Celebrations are due to Jenica Rogers, Director of Libraries and Bicentennial Celebrations, by Friday, May 9, 2014.