Criteria & Locations
SUNY Potsdam aims to designate businesses that bring the following benefits to the region:
- New jobs—the first and foremost goal of any designation.
- Opportunities for internships, vocational training and learning experiences for undergraduate and/or graduate students.
- Consulting opportunities for faculty members.
- Enhancing the diversity of businesses in the region.
- Supporting existing regional strengths.
- Not competing directly with existing businesses.
Locations of Start-Up NY areas
The following areas are designated under SUNY Potsdam's Start-Up NY plan:
- Potsdam Commerce Park, 6 Pioneer St., Potsdam, N.Y.: 12,000-square-foot business-ready building owned by the St. Lawrence County Industrial Development Agency and located within one mile of campus, in the Village of Potsdam.
- Carson Hall, SUNY Potsdam, Potsdam, N.Y.: Six offices with all utilities available on the SUNY Potsdam campus, totaling 1,600 square feet.
- Lehman Park, SUNY Potsdam, Potsdam, N.Y.: 42 acres of land on the SUNY Potsdam campus, located on outer Pierrepont Avenue.
- NATCO Park, SUNY Potsdam, Potsdam, N.Y.: 25 acres of land on the SUNY Potsdam campus, located on outer Main Street.
Additional potential locations of Start-Up NY areas
The following locations are potential spaces that SUNY Potsdam could seek to designate as a Start-Up NY area in the future:
- Massena Industrial Park, Trade Road, Massena, N.Y.: Three contiguous business-ready buildings on four lots in the Massena Industrial Park, owned by the St. Lawrence County Industrial Development Agency.
- Peyton Hall, Clarkson University, Potsdam, N.Y.: Located one block from the SUNY Potsdam campus, on the downtown Clarkson University campus.