Department of Anthropology
Both anthropology and archaeology are for anyone interested in working with people in all of their cultural diversity, solving social problems, unearthing historical mysteries, teaching social sciences, examining human behavior and biology from an evolutionary point of view.
Opportunities to Get Experience:
- The department magazine Collegiate Anthropologist, published twice a year.
- Laboratory and research assistantships in archaeology and biological anthropology.
- Teaching assistantships.
- Independent research with faculty mentors.
- Preparing museum exhibits.
- Planning the Northeastern Anthropological Association annual meeting.
- Internships in North Country schools, businesses, government offices and social work agencies.
- Summer expeditions to archaeological dig sites in the North Country and elsewhere. Recently, students have excavated at the site of slave cabins in Virginia, and cemeteries in Poland.
- The Anthropology Club, which hosts speakers, shows films, takes field trips and provides social opportunities.