Internships & Career Opportunities
We strongly encourage Computer Science students to pursue internship opportunities.
- An internship will give you practical experience that is valued by prospective employers.
- You may meet your capstone experience requirement in the CS major through an internship.
- One of the best ways for you to identify internships is by attending our Board of Advisors meetings, held once per semester on campus.
- The Experiential Education Office will help you to identify internship opportunities and arrange for getting academic credit for your internship experience.
- AfterCollege, Inc., has arranged with our department to provide a Job Resource Center with listings of internship and job opportunities appropriate to CS students.
- Most CS internships are paid!
- Haden Land, a 1984 CIS alumnus and an employee of Lockheed Martin, has endowed a scholarship for CS students who engage in off-campus internships in aerospace-related companies. The sholarship provides financial assistance for living expenses during the internship period.
- Ronald Fishbeck, a 1980 CIS alumnus, and his wife Teresa have established an endowed scholarship at SUNY Potsdam in support of students pursuing an internship in computer science. The scholarship is open to computer science majors of at least junior status who have an overall GPA of 3.0. Preference will be given to students who have secured an internship in the health care field, although this is not a requirement. Mr. Fishbeck is CEO of the $80 million company Systems Made Simple, Inc., headquartered near Washington, D.C., which has achieved recognition in the Inc. 500’s List of Fastest Growing Privately Held Companies every year for the past three years.
More information on internship scholarships is available at http://www.potsdam.edu/support/eeo/internships/forms.cfm.
Some examples of recent internships are:
- Adecco, Pitney Bowes Inc., Stamford, CT
- Apple Computer Cupertino, CA
- Chinango County SPCA Norwich, NY
- IBM Endicott, NY
- Infolina Solutions Concord, NC
- Long Island Newsday Melville, NY
- Potsdam Central School Potsdam, NY
- Microtech Computer Center Syracuse, NY
- MRSI SUNY Potsdam Potsdam, NY
- SUNY Potsdam Department of Computer Information Potsdam, NY
- SUNY Potsdam Internship Office Website Potsdam, NY
- SUNY Potsdam Levitt Center Potsdam, NY
- SUNY Potsdam Student Government Potsdam, NY
Career Opportunities/Graduate Study
SUNY Potsdam CS graduates hold management and technical positions at many major corporations, as well as colleges and universities and regional and national financial institutions. A Potsdam CS degree is outstanding preparation for graduate school.
Many of our CS graduates hold advanced degrees in the computer field, and a significant number of our graduates hold M.B.A. degrees. A sampling of positions our graduates hold or have held include:
- Vice President, IBM
- Vice President and Co-founder, Siebel Systems
- Chief Information Officer, Lockheed Martin
- Vice President and Chief Technology Officer,
- Investment Banking
- Director of Worldwide Fulfillment Operations,
- Technical Manager, Cisco Systems
- Worldwide Alliance Manager, IBM
- Director of Computing and Technology Services,
- The State University of New York at Potsdam CEO, Software Development Boutique
- Senior Technical Manager, Xerox