News & Events
- SUNY Potsdam's Department of Chemistry organized the second annual Chemtoberfest on October 19, 2012, to celebrate the National Week of Chemistry. For more information (including photos), view Chemtoberfest 2012 (PDF).
- Maria Hepel, Chemistry, was the recipient of the 2012 Northeast Region American Chemical Society Award (PDF) for Achievements in the Chemical Sciences. The award is conferred annually on a scientist who has made meritorious research contributions leading to the advancement of pure or applied chemistry. This award was presented to her at the NERM meeting of the American Chemical Society on October 1, 2012 in Rochester, NY.
- The SUNY Potsdam Chemistry department brought home the 1st Place Trophy for this year's Chemistry Jeopardy Competition! The game was held in celebration of 2011 being the International Year of Chemistry.
Click here to view a photo of our Chemistry Jeopardy Winners!
- On October 21, 2011, SUNY Potsdam held its First Annual Chemtoberfest! This event was held during National Chemistry Week in celebration of the International Year of Chemistry (IYC 2011).
The goals of the International Year of Chemistry 2011 were to:
- SUNY Potsdam Instructional Support Associate Wins National Award -
Janice Westerling is Named 2010 Scientific Materials Manager of the Year.
- Back in June 2-5, 2010, we held the 37th Northeast Regional Meeting (NERM) for the American Chemical Society “Chemistry for a Sustainable World” with 40 different symposia representing cutting-edge research topics from green chemistry to bio/nanotechnology and attended by over 500 chemists from all over the northeastern US and Canada.
- For more information, see Reflections on NERM (PDF).
To view pictures from the conference, see the NERM Photo Gallery.
- Biochemistry Student Elected into Biochemistry Honor Society.
Huidong Yang, a senior biochemistry major from Suzhou, China, was elected into the newly inaugurated Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Honor Society (ΧΩΛ) of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) that recognizes exceptional undergraduate juniors and seniors pursuing a degree in the molecular life sciences at a College or University that is a member of the Undergraduate Affiliate Network (UAN) of the ASBMB.
Huidong has worked in the labs of both Dr. Gingrich (zinc transport proteins) and Dr. Bou-Abdallah (ferritin research) and was able to travel to Anaheim, CA to both present some of his research data as well as receive his award. He will be attending graduate school, studying neuroscience at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign this fall. More information and a short biography of Huidong is included in the May issue of ASBMB Today where he is profiled with three of the other twelve awardees. It can be accessed at:
- Maria Hepel, Chemistry Department, was named a Top Cited Author for 2010/2011 by the Biophysical Chemistry international journal (Elsevier) for her paper entitled "Ligand Exchange Effects in Gold Nanoparticle Assembly Induced by Oxidative Stress Biomarker: Homocysteine and Cysteine". The paper was ranked top 5 in the citations in just released citation statistics.This paper was coauthored with Jeffrey Deeb, SUNY Potsdam chemistry graduate student, class of 2010, and Magdalena Stobiecka, a postdoctoral researcher from Poland. Learn More (PDF)