The competition committee (consisting of faculty members of The Crane School of Music and an invited opera professional) expects to select two or three works that will then receive a performance (either in part or whole) by The Crane Opera Ensemble and Orchestra in November of 2014.
The $20,000.00 will be divided among the winning submissions at the discretion of the committee. The committee reserves the right not to award the entire monetary prize.
- Composers/Librettists are invited to submit recently composed operatic
works suitable for performance by college-level singers and
- Works will be expected to be fully orchestrated in consultation with the Music Director of The Crane Opera Orchestra. Orchestrations for involving up to 30 players are acceptable, although smaller forces are welcomed.
- The submitter will be responsible for obtaining or authorizing performing, recording and possible broadcast rights for The Crane Opera Ensemble and Orchestra for the scheduled 2014 performances.
- SUNY Potsdam will engage in a contract with each of the winners to cover deadlines and other issues leading to the performances in November of 2014.
- A balance of approximately two female roles for every male role is encouraged to ensure successful casting.