Call for Proposals & Eligibility
The Domenic J. Pellicciotti Opera Composition Prize seeks proposals from composer/librettist teams for a $25,000 Opera Commissioning Award for a November 2018 premiere. Finalists selected from proposals received will be awarded $2000 (per team) to write a piano/vocal excerpt to be work-shopped in a final round in September 2016. The winning team will be awarded a commission to complete the proposed work of 60-80 minutes in length for a November 2018 premiere at The Crane School of Music, State University of New York, Potsdam.
Deadline for Preliminary Proposal Submission: December 1, 2015
Submission portal will open at www.potsdam.edu/pellicciotti on September 1.
Preliminary Proposals should include:
- Project description including its artistic impact and how it reflects the theme of the Pellicciotti Prize.
- Proposed Synopsis & Scene breakdown.
- Character breakdown with vocal types.
- Proposed orchestration (modest forces suggested with creative instrumentation encouraged).
- Composers: Three samples of previous work (total maximum timing of 30 minutes).The works should demonstrate both vocal and orchestral writing appropriate to the proposed forces. MIDI files are acceptable, but it is preferable to have at least one of a live performance. Scores and audio recordings (PDF and MP3 formats only) must be included for each sample.
- Librettists: Three excerpts of work samples (at least one piece must be a text that has been set to music).Submission of texts must be in PDF format. Audio recording(s) of works set to music (MP3 format only) for at least one of the samples are requested, if available. Excerpts of texts not set to music should reflect the author's ability to write for a dramatic setting.
- Bio for each Composer & Librettist (500 words max each) should include a statement of relevant collaborate activity.
- Electronic applications only. Submissions of physical media will not be accepted. The application portal will open on September 1, 2015 on this website.