Master of Music in Music Performance
The Master of Music in Performance program is designed to develop student musicianship and technical expertise through individual study, and through solo, ensemble, and chamber performance opportunities, all under the direction of faculty artists.
Music Performance students at Crane can complete their program in as few as three semesters during the academic year. Majors include voice, harp and guitar along with traditional instruments in the brass, woodwind, string and percussion families. With the abundance of performance opportunities, Crane can help further your musical performance skills!
Piano performance students can also consider adding the Concentration in Piano Pedagogy while in the Performance degree. A Master of Music double major in both Performance and Music Education is also possible for qualified students.
Applying for the Master of Music in Performance Degree
To assist students with the application, we encourage you to use our graduate application checklist to ensure that your application is complete.
Requirements for Admission to Master of Music in Performance Degree Program
- An earned baccalaureate degree in music from an accredited college or university.
- A minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0. Applicants with a cumulative undergraduate GPA between 2.75 and 3.0 may be granted provisional admission by approval of the Crane Graduate Admissions Committee.
- Please note that applicants with an undergraduate music theory, music history, and aural skills GPA below 3.0 will have to take the Crane Graduate Theory and History Exams if admitted. Students may be required to take additional remedial coursework based on the results of these exams.
The materials below should be sent to the SUNY Potsdam Center for Graduate Studies.
- Submission of a Graduate Application to the SUNY Potsdam Center for Graduate Studies (phone:(315) 267- 2165 or (800) 458-1142, ext. 1; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Submission of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, even if a degree was not earned.
- Submission of a typed letter of intent written by the applicant and expressing the applicant's professional goals as relevant to the program for which application is made.
- Submission of a non-refundable $50.00 US application processing fee.
- Submission of two letters of recommendation.
- International students must also provide a certification of finances; and for non-native English speaking candidates proof of TOEFL scores: see the International Graduate Admissions page and the Office of International Education & Programs for details.
All performance applicants must audition. To register for an audition and see our audition dates and locations, please go to the auditions area of our website. For any audition, live or by video, students must fill out the Crane online audition form found on this page. Our final audition for the 2014-2015 audition season is March 14, 2015. Students who wish to request to have an audition by video (due to distance from Postdam, NY) must follow the procedures for submitting video auditions found at the bottom of this webpage: http://www.potsdam.edu/academics/Crane/admissions/general_info.cfm.
- Vocalists must prepare five (5) memorized works in French, German, Italian, and English. Repertoire must include two (2) arias of contrasting styles and periods; these could include opera, operetta, oratorio, cantata, or concert arias.
- Piano Performance applicants must prepare a program from 50 to 60 minutes which includes three style periods. A complete classical sonata, a major Romantic work, and one virtuosic etude are required. Remaining works are to be chosen by the applicant. All works must be prepared in their entirety.
- For other instruments, please contact the Crane Graduate Office at email@example.com or (315) 267-2417.
If you are applying for a graduate assistantship and/or scholarship, the application deadline is March 2nd for Fall admissions. All materials must be received by that date, including any audition videos; live auditions must have been completed by March 2nd as well. For all other students, the deadlines for admission are:
- Fall admission: April 1st
- Spring admission: November 15th for all materials except the audition; December 13th for the audition.
For more information, please contact:
Crane Graduate Office
The Crane School of Music
44 Pierrepont Avenue
Potsdam, NY 13676