You are here
Minor in Community Health
Kathleen O'Rourke, Chair
101A Dunn, (315) 267-3392, email@example.com
20 credit hours required.
The Community Health Minor will prepare students to identify the determinants of health and illness and to discern the impact that health or illness has on the social, emotional, cultural, spiritual, psychological, political and economic well-being of individuals, societies and the “global village” as a whole. This valuable information will be complementary to the solid foundation of knowledge constructed via major coursework and will afford students a more comprehensive and complete world view. Depending on the electives selected, students will learn to interpret, analyze and address current world health concerns in such diverse areas as environmental health, human sexuality, nutrition, substance abuse, fitness, therapeutic recreation and death, dying and bereavement. In addition, students will also learn how to make informed personal lifestyle choices that will allow them to experience a higher quality of life now and in the future.
A minimum of 20 hours of credit to be taken in the Department of Community Health is required of all students seeking a Community Health minor. Students must earn at least a 2.0 in each course to receive credit for the minor.
This minor is open to all students EXCEPT those enrolled in the Community Health major. Students may use (i.e., “double count”) only two courses to fulfill requirements for both the minor and their major.
To declare the Community Health minor, contact the chair of the Department of Community Health.
All courses are 3 credits unless noted. Credits are divided as follows:
Core Courses (Credits 8)
HLTH 165 Health: A Lifestyle Approach
HLTH 361 Foundations of Community Health
HLTH 475 Minor Seminar (2 credits)
Community Health Elective: one of the following (Credits 3)
HLTH 310 Health Disparities
HLTH 380 Theory in Community Health
HLTH 385 Epidemiology and Biostatistics
HLTH 430 Human Disease: Patterns, Prevention and Intervention
Health Topic Electives (Credits 9)
Choose three Topic Areas from the following list and take one course in each chosen topic area:
- Substance Abuse: HLTH 250 Drug Studies or HLTH 325 Alcohol Studies
- Environmental Health: HLTH 300 Environmental Health
- Death & Dying: HLTH 331 Death and Dying
- Sexual Health: HLTH 341 Sexual Health, HLTH 342 Women’s Health, HLTH 343 Maternal and Child Health, or HLTH 344 Issues in Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Health
- Nutrition: HLTH 333 Human Nutrition, HLTH 371 Nutrition for Special Populations, HLTH 373 Current Topics in Community Health Nutrition, or HLTH 375 Navigating the American Diet
- Fitness: HLTH 425 Exercise Physiology
- Therapeutic Recreation: HLTH 200 Therapeutic Recreation
- Other: Special topics courses (HLTH 395/495) may be applied to the minor with permission of the adviser and department chair.