Printer-friendly version

Frequently Asked Questions

What do you need to do to be eligible for the Childhood/Early Childhood Education Program?

  • If you are an incoming freshman or transfer student you are eligible.
  • If you are a current SUNY Potsdam student and have completed less than 6 credits of education courses, you need a 2.3 overall GPA.
  • If you are a current SUNY Potsdam student and have completed 6 or more credits of education courses, you must have a 2.75 overall GPA.

How do I apply to become a Childhood/Early Childhood major?

  • Log on to BearPaws
  • Click Student Services and Financial Aid
  • Click Education Major Forms
  • Click Declaration form for Childhood/Early Childhood

Can I reapply for the program if I am dropped?

  • Yes, a student may reapply for the program once they meet the overall GPA, but each readmitted student is evaluated to determine the length of time they were absent from the program and is carefully reconsidered before being readmitted to the program.

When do students begin Education courses?

  • In most cases students begin their education courses in their sophomore year.

At what point will I begin working with children?

  • Students will begin working with children in their first education class, Principles of Education. Throughout the program students will have the opportunity to work with children in a variety of settings including tutoring, after school programs, and in a classroom.

Can I student teach at home?

  • Student teaching placements are determined on a semester basis so it will depend on a number of variables as to where students do their student teaching.

If I am a current student and I have questions about classes or problems where do I go?

  • The best place to start is to ask your advisor.Once you are admitted to the Childhood/Early Childhood Education program you will be assigned an advisor in this major.You can find their name on your BearPaws course summary page or in Bear Den.

I am a prospective student and I have questions who can I contact?