You are here
St. Lawrence Academy Medal
School of Education Alumni Association Award
St. Lawrence Academy Medal
State University of New York at Potsdam School of Education Alumni Association
To recognize an alumnus/a of the SUNY School of Education who has distinguished himself/herself in the field of education and whose contributions were exceptional.
The candidate must be an alumnus/a of the Potsdam College School of Education who has through significant contributions to the field of professional education or a related field dignified the professions of teaching or community health profession in study, research, and practice either directly or indirectly in political, social, or financial ways.
The selection committee shall administer the needs and purposes of the SUNY Potsdam School of Education St. Lawrence Academy Medal. These duties shall include the processing of nominations and the selection of inductees, and the staging of presentation events.
Membership on the selection committee shall consist of five members of the School of Education Advisory Board appointed by the president of the Board.
Each year appropriate groups will be solicited for nominations. Letters of nomination must include a completed nomination form and the following materials:
- Three additional letters of support.
- Resume of college activities and positions held.
- Endeavors and accomplishments since graduation.
- Present position, family, address and phone numbers.
Nominations must be approved by a majority vote of the selection committee before being placed in the nomination pool.
If a candidate accepted into the pool is not inducted, he/she shall be carried for a period of five years and is eligible for re-nomination.
The selection committee will prepare a list of no more than five candidates from the pool of nominees.
From the list of finalists the committee will select the award winner by means of rank order vote.
The president of the School of Education Alumni Board will notify the recipient, informing that person of the honor. The presentation will take place during Alumni Weekend at the college recognition ceremony.
- Whereas this medal is to be awarded to an alumnus/a who has contributed significantly to the field of professional education or related field; and
- Whereas the roots of teacher education can be traced back to the founding of St. Lawrence Academy by Benjamin Raymond in 1916; and
- Whereas teacher education was the primary focus of this institution until its designation as a four-year, liberal arts institution on September 29, 1961;
- It is therefore fitting that this medal being established by the School of Education Alumni Association to recognize a professional to be named the St. Lawrence Academy Medal
The candidate must be an alumnus/a who has through significant contributions to the field of professional education or related fields dignified the profession of teaching or community health professions in study, research, and practice whether directly in schools or indirectly in political, social, or financial ways.
- Nominated by February 1st of each year.
- Recommended by four individuals
- Limited to one recipient per year.
- Selected by the School of Education Alumni Advisory Board after a review of all nominations and supporting documents.
- Presented to the individual at the Recognition Luncheon held during Alumni Weekend.