As of July 2, 2001, under the Schools Against Violence in Education Legislation, applications for new Teaching Certificates are subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check. Background checks are required for all school personnel, including applicants for certification and all educational services (BOCES). All students must be fingerprinted PRIOR to their first field placement.
As of July 1, 2009, NYS will no longer accept paper applications for Fingerprint Processing. You must apply online, through TEACH Online Services. To apply online, follow the steps below.
1. Create a TEACH account with the NYS Education Department.
2. Apply and pay online ($91.50) through your TEACH account. Print a copy of the receipt.
3. Contact St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES by calling 315-386-4504 to schedule an appointment to be fingerprinted. Please press “O” and ask to speak with Sheena or Robin and advise you are a SUNY Potsdam teacher candidate.
4. Attend scheduled appointment at 40 West Main Street, Canton, NY and bring your receipt from step #2.
5. One week after your fingerprints have been scanned, please check your TEACH account for fingerprint clearance by going to TEACH Online Services and look for the statement, “Your DCJS and FBI results have been received.” You will not receive anything from NYSED until a school district requests Fingerprint Clearance for you.
Please note: Fingerprint process and prices are subject to change.