Students who complete a program of study at SUNY Potsdam that is approved by the New York State Education Department (NYSED) that leads to Initial Certification will be recommended through the Center for School Partnerships and Teacher Certification for the appropriate teacher certificate.
In order to be recommended for Initial Certification, the following requirements must be successfully completed:
- An approved program of study that leads to certification.
- Health 230 (CA, SAVE), a two-credit hour course on drug abuse prevention, child abduction prevention, fire safety and arson prevention, the Identification and Reporting of Child Abuse, and School Violence Prevention and Intervention.
- Teacher Certification Authorization Form: Usually completed prior to student teaching.
- New York State Certification Exams: In order for a teacher candidate to receive an Initial Certificate from
NYSED, the candidate must take the New York State Certification Exams.
Please refer to the New York State Teacher Certification Exams website for the most up-to-date requirements and information.
- Fingerprint clearance from the New York State Education Department.
- Certification Application through TEACH account following instructions on the appropriate Student Information Application Sheet (Program Codes).