As of July 2, 2001, under the Schools Against Violence in Education Legislation, applications for new Teaching Certificates are subject to a fingerprint supported criminal history background check. Background checks are required for all school personnel, including applicants for certification and all educational services (BOCES).
SUNY Potsdam recommends that all students be fingerprinted PRIOR to any field/practicum placement.
As of July 1, 2009, NYS will no longer accept paper applications for Fingerprint Processing. You must apply online, through TEACH Online Services.
To apply on TEACH:
- Go to: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/teach
- Click on "Self Register" to create your TEACH account(be sure to record your username and password and keep it in a safe place as it is the same one you will use to apply for your teaching certificate after you graduate and it will take NYSED several weeks to re-send the missing information)
- Log into TEACH with your username and password
- Click on "TEACH Online Services"
- Click on "Submit Application for Fingerprint Clearance"
- Complete online application form at www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert and at the end of the process click the button to request fingerprint cards (paper cards no longer available outside Center for School Partnerships and Teacher Certification in Satterlee Hall)
- Submit fee to NYSED ($91.50) online using a credit card and print out confirmation page
- Have inked fingerprints applied to NYSED cards (these are the cards you receive after completing the application above and requesting them from NYSED)
- Send inked fingerprint cards and confirmation page to NYSED, and follow any other instructions provided to you when you requested the cards from NYSED
It typically takes several weeks for processing from the time your fingerprints, application and payment are received. You will know that your fingerprints have been processed when your TEACH account has the following statement listed under Fingerprint Information: "Your DCJS and FBI results have been received". You will not receive anything from NYSED until a school district requests Fingerprint Clearance for you.