The Wilderness Education Minor will assist those who strive to be leaders by facilitating the development of their personal leadership style.
Students with a minor in Wilderness Education will:
- demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to plan and lead self-powered wilderness-based ventures for public institutions and private agencies.
- demonstrate an understanding of the issues surrounding wilderness leadership and wilderness preservation.
- demonstrate a basic understanding of flora, fauna, geology and the ecosystems within which they may be leading groups.
- avoid potentially dangerous situations through sound risk management practices and provide emergency care for those who are injured or become ill where ambulance care is not available in the event of an accident.
- demonstrate competency in one or more specialized technical skills, such as rock and ice climbing, leading wilderness expeditions or other appropriate activity.
- demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to plan and facilitate adventure programs through the use of the climbing and ropes course facility.