SUNY Potsdam's General Education Program Outline: For students who matriculated between the Fall of 2000 and spring of 2006.
First-Year Experience Courses
This program applies only to students matriculated between Fall 2000 and Spring 2006. Students who matriculate Fall 2006 onwards should follow the General Education Foundations [GEF].
The Communication Experience: (2 courses; minimum of 7 credits)
- [FW] Writing and Critical Thinking - Minimum of 4 credits
- [FS] Speaking, Reasoning, and Research* - Minimum of 4 credits
*Bachelor of Music students do not have this requirement.
The Quantitative Reasoning Experience [FM] (1 course; minimum of 3 credits)
- Problem Solving and Abstract Reasoning
- Statistical Analysis and Reasoning
Modes of Inquiry
Aesthetic Understanding (2 courses; minimum of 6 credits from two different departments)
- [AC] Aesthetic-Critical and Discriminative (minimum of 3 credits)
- [AE] Aesthetic-Experiential (minimum of 3 credits) Note: many AE courses are one or two credits and more than one course will need to be taken.
Scientific Inquiry (2 courses- one from each area; minimum of 6 credits total)
- [SB]Scientific Inquiry- Biological Sciences (minimum of 3 credits)
- [SP] Scientific Inquiry- Physical Sciences (minimum of 3 credits)
Note: At least one of the courses must include [LB] laboratory experiences.
*Bachelor of Music students need only take one of the above.
[SA] Social Analysis (minimum of 3 credits)
[PI] Philosophical Inquiry (minimum of 3 credits)
[AH] American History (minimum of 3 credits)
World Civilizations (2 courses; minimum of 6 credits)
- [WC] Western Civilization (minimum of 3 credits)
- [XC] Cross-Cultural Perspective (minimum of 3 credits)
Writing and Speaking Intensive
- [WI] Writing Intensive (minimum of 3 credits, FW prerequisite)
- [SI] Speaking Intensive (minimum of 3 credits, FS prerequisite)
- [ML] Modern Languages (0-9 credits)
Sequence of courses leading to the completion of a Modern Language at the 103 level or higher OR the high school equivalent.
- [PE] Physical Education (4 courses)
Up to two of the same PE designated courses will fulfill the requirement. No more than two varsity sport courses will fulfill the PE requirement.