Employment: Optional Practical Training (OPT)
General Info about OPT:
What is Optional Practical Training (OPT)? OPT is a way to live and work in the U.S. and to gain hands-on experience in your academic field.
The week of April 7, 2008, the Department of Homeland Security published an Interim Final Rule, which makes changes to post-completion OPT. To view the changes, download and read Optional Practical Training Updates (PDF).
When can I apply for OPT? Students apply for OPT during their last semester of study.Students can apply for post-completion OPT up to 90 days before the program end date and up to 60 days after the program end date.
Note: The OPT application must be submitted to USCIS within 30 days of the date that the International Student Services school official enters the OPT recommendation in SEVIS.
How do I apply for OPT? Please attend a workshop, review the OPT power point presentation and OPT instructions below and contact staff in the International Education & Programs Office (Sisson Hall ), for information about applying for OPT.
OPT Workshops currently being offered:
- Wednesday, February 8th at 9 a.m. in Sisson 142
- Thursday, February 9th at 9 a.m. in Sisson 142
- Optional Practical Training (Updated November 2010)
- OPT Instructions(Updated November 2010)
- OPT Adviser's Recommendation Form (Updated November 2010)
- Form I-765 (Revised by USCIS on January 19, 2011)
- Student Ackowledgement Form
- Form G-1145
17-Month STEM OPT Extensions Documents & Links
- STEM OPT Extension Fact Sheet
- Request for STEM OPT Extension
- Where to file STEM OPT Extension Application
- List of STEM Designated Degree Programs
- E-Verify Program
- Database of E-Verify Employers
Check back for updates