You are here
One of the nice things about attending college as an EOP student is that you will discover that you are not alone; there is plenty of support and assistance available.
The following program services will be available to you as an enrolled EOP student at SUNY Potsdam:
1. Orientation Program
All new EOP students (both freshmen and transfers) are required to attend an EOP orientation session which is scheduled for the week before classes begin.
The EOP Orientation Program for new freshman students is held one week before the start of classes in the fall (Friday, 8/19/16 to Friday 8/26/16). All new freshmen students are required to attend this mandatory week of orientation. Students receive information regarding orientation upon acceptance to the college.
- For new EOP transfer students, there is a brief orientation meeting on 8/24 - 8/26/16.
- The EOP orientation programs are designed to provide you with information concerning our program services (familiarizing you with both college and EOP regulations) and to introduce you to our staff. Detailed information on the above programs will be provided upon your acceptance to EOP.
2. Counseling Assistance
- You will be assigned to an individual EOP counselor who will serve as your main contact with our program.
- Counselors provide help with personal, academic, social, financial and career concerns.
- As a new student you will be required to meet with your EOP counselor at least every two weeks to review your academic progress.
- The amount of required contact in subsequent semesters depends upon your academic performance.
3. Academic Advising & Selecting a Major
- All EOP students who have not formally declared a major area of study receive course advisement from their EOP counselor.
- In addition to helping you select appropriate courses, we also offer effective counseling in selecting a college major.
- Once you formally declare a major area of study you will be officially advised by a faculty member in your chosen department, although we will still be there to help.
4. Tutoring and Supplemental Instruction
- You can receive, upon request, free tutoring assistance in any of your content courses.
- Some one-on-one tutoring services are contingent upon your eligibility for Student Support Services or the Collegiate Sciences & Technology Entry Program.
- EOP provides one-on-one peer tutoring for college writing, and professional one-on-one tutoring in specific math and science subjects.
- Supplemental instruction is provided exclusively to EOP first year students in selected courses
5. Financial Assistance
- All financially eligible EOP students are scheduled to receive EOP financial assistance for the academic year.
- The first portion is provided as a "book card" that students will use for the purchase of their textbooks and academic supplies.
- The remaining amount per semester is applied directly to your student account.
6. EOP First Year Seminar
- As a new freshman student you are required to attend this credit-bearing weekly seminar during the fall semester which is designed to ease your transition to SUNY Potsdam.
- FYSS 100 also allows you to maintain contact with other new students and quickly learn the ?ropes? of beginning a college career.
7. EOP Student
- EOP staff advise and coordinate small student groups designed to provide peer and staff support in a small group environment-participation is optional
8. EOP Learning Skill Assistance
- Your EOP counselor will also provide you with much information concerning academic success strategies and study skills development.
- The EOP staff assistant will coordinate learning skills workshops designed to help students build their academic skill sets.
9. EOP Student Computer Lab
- Attached to the EOP office is a room containing two computers which are reserved for your exclusive use.
- The EOP staff is also available for assistance and instruction.
10. Community Events
The EOP staff coordinates regular weekly events such as:
- Holiday Party
- Stress Management Workshops
- Awards Ceremony
- Trips to local cities such as Syracuse, Ottawa, Lake Placid and Burlington