Printer-friendly version

Graduate Students

There are multiple types of funding sources/opportunities to support your pursuit of a graduate degree. This page provides comprehensive information, links, and steps to pursue each. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Center for Graduate Studies at 315-267-2165 or by email,

Quick Navigation (Click to jump to a specific section of this page):
Graduate Assistantships & the Graduate Advantage Program
Alternative Funding Options
Student Accounts - Customer Service Representative


Graduate Assistantships & the Graduate Advantage Program

The Graduate Assistant (GA) and Graduate Advantage Program (GAP) positions are the institution's tuition remission programs exclusively for graduate students. These positions are available each year for students to apply to work in an academic or administrative area on campus. Typically, these positions are filled for work during the academic year. Student's earn funding to support their college bill while simultaneously gaining tangible experiences in their field, in higher education, and more!

Below are the positions that are currently open for the 2017-2018 year.  Please contact the Center for Graduate Studies to discuss any details related to the application requirements, or the positions themselves. Contact information for the offices that will be interviewing for these positions can also be found within the attached descriptions.

For all positions, use the common application form: Apply Online Here. If the hyperlink is no longer available, it means that the position has been filled at this time.

Full Graduate Assistantship

There are no positions available at this time.

Graduate Advantage Program

Mathematics Department Tutor: Mathematics.pdf


Please contact the Center for Graduate Studies (315) 267-2165 or for more information.

Back to Top

Graduate Diversity Fellowship Program

The Graduate Diversity Fellowship Program is a SUNY-wide initiative that offers fellowships to students who have been admitted to graduate or professional study. This program is intended to assist in the recruitment, enrollment and retention of students in doctoral and master?s level programs who can demonstrate that they contribute to the diversity of the student body, especially those who can show that they have overcome a disadvantage or other impediment to success in higher education.

The Center for Graduate Studies accepts applications for fall awards, as well as spring. Application deadline for the fall semester is August 1st. Applications for the Spring have a deadline of December 15th. Please note that awards are given each semester, and applications must be submitted for each semester. There are no automatic fall to spring awards.

Download the application packet

Back to Top

Graduate Opportunity Program

The Graduate Opportunity (GOP) program is a tuition waiver program specifically designed for students who have graduated from SUNY's Education Opportunity Program (EOP), City University of New York's Search for Education, Elevation, and Knowledge (SEEK) Program or the Higher Educational Opportunity Program (HEOP) conducted by private colleges.

The Center for Graduate Studies accepts applications for fall awards, as well as spring. Application deadline for the fall semester is August 1st. Applications for the Spring have a deadline of December 15th. Please note that awards are given each semester, and applications must be submitted for each semester. There are no automatic fall to spring awards.

Download the application packet here

Back to Top

Graduate Student Scholarships

There are several scholarship opportunities for students to apply to. This includes new students entering a program, as well as returning students. There are institutional scholarships (see below), as well as several scholarship programs that are established and administered within the schools on campus. Contact the Center for Graduate Studies with any specific questions you may have:

1. New Student Scholarships (Merit-based, awarded for first two semesters):

2. MST Commitment Fund: New students in any MST program will be automatically eligible for a scholarship in the amount equivalent to the cost of the GRE exam.  To receive this scholarship, a new student must:

  • Be enrolled academically full time (9+ credits)
  • Achieve a minimum score of 150 on both the verbal and quantitative sections of the GRE exam

3. School of Education & Professional Studies Scholarships

2018/2019 Scholarship Poster: Applications are due in February!

Other Scholarships:

As we become aware of other scholarships available outside of the school, we will post them here. Note that these are external award opportunities, and we are not responsible for the upkeep of their website, information, and specific time frame. You are encouraged to contact the organizations/entities offering these awards as questions arise.

Back to Top

Federal Loans

Graduate students are eligible for federal loan funding when enrolled in at least 6 credits. While full-time status for graduate students is 9 credits or more, all financial aid packages are estimated based on enrollment in 12 credits when FAFSA information is received. Please contact the Financial Aid Office if you are enrolled in fewer than 12 credits. In most cases an adjustment is made only for tuition, fees and books; funding for living expenses is not affected.

  1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the Pre-filled FAFSA application online: Before you begin you will want to have your tax information or estimates from last year. You will also want to have your PIN available so that you can sign your application upon completion. All students must apply each year for Federal aid by completing the FAFSA application. Continuing students may decide to complete the Pre-filled FAFSA on line. All filers will need the SUNY Potsdam Federal Code (002850) to input on the applications. More application information is available at
  2. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR) The Federal Government will provide you with access to your Student Aid Report via e-mail if you apply on line. Please review this FAFSA summary and return the form to the Federal Government or our office with any corrections you may have to the application.
  3. Notify the Financial Aid Office of any Private Scholarships You will want to notify the Financial Aid Office if you will be receiving outside scholarships or grants from local, state, national, or corporate organizations. These awards may impact your financial aid eligibility.
  4. Receive Your Award Letter Once we have received your FAFSA information from the Federal Government, and we have received any other requested data needed from you, we will process your financial aid package and notify you of your aid eligibility. Continuing students will receive an award notification via e-mail directing them to the BearPAWS system. Notification begins in early March.
  5. Respond to Inquiries Respond promptly to any inquiries from federal and state agencies, or from our office. We will notify continuing students via e-mail to access the BearPAWS system to see what information is missing in order to process your financial aid. Delays in receipt of pertinent information will delay the review process, mailing of award letters, and disbursement of funds.

Back to Top

Alternative Funding Options

There are many alternative funding options available to support your graduate degree. This section will be updated frequently, so be sure to visit the page often to learn more about these:

Develop a non-credit course! The Center for Lifelong Education and Recreation (CLEAR) serves the campus and local communities by offering a variety of programming that is available to people of all ages. If you have specialized experiences, or know of unique things that may be of interest, running a course is a great way to earn extra dollars to support you. Download the instructor proposal packet and see if your ideas could become a great new course!

Back to Top