You are here
Freshmen Scholars Program for New York State Residents and International Students
The SUNY Potsdam Freshman Scholars Program is designed to provide support to our high achieving students. This program is only for accepted freshman students entering for full-time fall admission. The value of each award begins at $1000 annually. It is renewable for three subsequent years by maintaining a minimum of a 3.25 cumulative GPA.
The selection committee will consider the student?s academic record, GPA, SAT and/or ACT test scores, TOEFL scores (for international students), essay, and a history of participation and leadership in extracurricular activities and community service. NCAA Division III regulations prohibit the consideration of high school athletic ability, athletic participation, athletic leadership or athletic performance in awarding scholarships.
Am I eligible?
- Freshman applicants must have a minimum high school GPA of 88 (on a 100 scale) or minimum SAT score of 1100 (Critical Reading and Math) or minimum ACT score of 24.
What do I need?
- You must be accepted to SUNY Potsdam as a matriculated undergraduate student, with plans to enroll full time for the fall semester.
- A scholarship application (see link below).
- FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for the year you are entering SUNY Potsdam. Please Note: International students do not submit the FAFSA.
- You will need one recommendation from a teacher, your guidance counselor or administrator. We will use your recommendation(s) from the Admissions Office, unless you choose to submit a different one.
What about the application?
Submit Freshmen Scholars Application for New York State Residents online
- Submit International Freshmen Scholarship Application online
- Download/Print the scholarship application (PDF format) and recommendation form and submit it to our office.
What about the FAFSA?
- You can file your FAFSA any time after January 1 for the following school year. Just go to www.fafsa.ed.gov and follow the directions. Your scholarship application will not be complete without your FAFSA.
- Reminder, international students do not submit the FAFSA
When is the application due?
- The preferred deadline for your completed application and recommendation to be on file with us is February 15. Applications after this date will be reviewed if funding allows.
- FAFSA applications can arrive later; however, your award will not be calculated until we receive that data.
- It is the student's responsibility to check if the application is complete.
The Mt. Emmons Scholarship may not be used in conjunction with the SUNY Potsdam Freshman Scholarship.
Individual scholarship and financial assistance amounts may not exceed total cost of attendance for any student.