Mt. Emmons Scholarship
Named after the most difficult mountain to climb in the Adirondacks, this is the most prestigious award offered at SUNY Potsdam. Each year five awards will be granted to entering freshmen. The scholarship selection committee will consider SAT and/or ACT test scores, GPA, essay, and a history of participation and leadership in extracurricular activities and community service, as well as letters of recommendation. NCAA Division III regulations prohibit the consideration of high school athletic ability, participation, leadership or performance in awarding scholarships. The Mt. Emmons Scholarship is renewable for three subsequent years by maintaining a minimum cumulative 3.25 GPA.
Am I eligible?
- Freshmen applicants for the Mt. Emmons Scholarship must have a minimum SAT score of 1300 (Critical Reading and Math) or ACT score of 29, and a minimum high school GPA of 92.
What do I need?
- You must be accepted for admission to SUNY Potsdam for the fall semester.
- You must complete the Mt. Emmons Scholarship Application.
- You will need two recommendation letters from a teacher, your guidance counselor or administrator. We will use your recommendations from the Admissions Office, unless you choose to submit different ones.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete a personal interview.
When is the application due?
- Your completed application and recommendation letters must be on file with us by February 15. It is the student's responsibility to check if the application is complete.
What about the application?
- You can download the scholarship application (PDF format) and recommendation form. Or you can fill out and submit your application online. If your answers do not fit in the application's fields, you may edit your text or submit a paper application.
These scholarships include in-state tuition and standard fees, a $500 credit on your bill for books, and residence hall waiver and board waiver. Optional and course or program specific fees are not included in the award and are the responsibility of the student. The residence hall waiver is based on the charge for a standard double room.
If not awarded the Mt. Emmons Scholarship, applicants will automatically be considered for a SUNY Potsdam Freshman Scholarship; a separate Freshman Scholarship application is not needed. A FAFSA must be on file for the school year for which you are applying in order to be considered for a SUNY Potsdam Freshman Scholarship.
The Mt. Emmons Scholarship may not be used in conjunction with the SUNY Potsdam Freshman Scholarship.
Scholarships may be affected by the estimated cost of attendance and by other sources of aid received.