Below you will find a quick checklist guide to completing your application for graduate study at Potsdam. Please note that some graduate programs require supplemental materials to be submitted such as auditions, writing samples or evidence of completion of prerequisite coursework. Please visit your program of interest to determine if there are supplemental requirements. You may also contact the Center for Graduate Studies at anytime to discuss your application. All materials may be submitted to us using the information provided below. We look forward to receiving your application!
- Graduate Application (online or download PDF): Non-refundable $50 application fee in U.S. funds (SUNY Potsdam alumni, current students, and U.S. military personnel are not required to pay an application fee)
- GRE Exam (or equivalent): Required for all teacher preparation program candidates who are seeking certification (for applicants seeking admission for fall 2015 forward). All other graduate programs, including non-certification options do not require this exam. More information on the GRE exam can be found by visiting www.gre.org. SUNY Potsdam's code for sending score reports is 2545.
- Letter of Intent: Submission of a typed Letter of Intent written by the candidate expressing the candidate’s professional goals as related to program pursuit, with attention to any specific program guidelines. Your letter of intent should be a minimum of one full page and a maximum of three pages typed. Your letter should address the following:
- Why you are applying for the program
- How your degree program relates to your long-range career or professional objectives, and specifically how the program at Potsdam will assist you in achieving the goals you have described.
Please Note: For Literacy graduate programs, refer to the program specific document here for more information that should be included.
- Recommendation Letters with Cover Sheet (Download the cover sheet for each recommendation):
- Three letters are required for all programs except for Information and Communication Technology (ICT) programs, which require two.
- Transcripts: Evidence of an earned baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university. Applicants finishing their baccalaureate requirements at the time of application may complete the admissions process. Proof of a conferred degree will be required in order to continue in the program beyond the first month.
- Unofficial transcripts may be submitted for the purpose of evaluation for an admissions decision (U.S. and Canadian applicants only).
- Submission of official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, even if a degree was not earned are required no later than one month from the start of a degree program. Official transcripts involve no student intervention and are forwarded directly from the Registrar’s Office of the institution to the Center for Graduate Studies. Transcripts submitted in an admission package will be considered “official” only if they are sealed in an envelope by the school and bear the signature of the Registrar. Canadian students who have attended high school in Ontario are encouraged to also forward an official high school transcript, however it is not required.
- Current students and alumni of SUNY Potsdam do not need to submit official transcripts for any coursework taken at this campus.
- A Current Resume
- Copy of current teaching certification or certification number (if required)
- International Students: There are two key items that must be submitted for most international students in addition to the items listed above:
- For non-native English speaking applicants, a minimum TOEFL score of 79 (internet-based), 550 (paper-based),213 (computer-based), or a minimum IELTS score of 6.0. Conditional admission may be available for alternative evidence of English proficiency. Visit the International Applicants page for additional information.
- All international applicants (with an exception for Canadian students) must provide evidence of an equivalency to a U.S. bachelor's degree. Visit the International Students page for additional information.
There are multiple ways you can submit your application materials to us:
- Submit electronic copies by email to email@example.com or
- Fax materials to us at 1-315-267-4802 or
- Mail materials (originals preferred) to: Center for Graduate Studies at SUNY Potsdam; 44 Pierrepont Ave., Satterlee Hall Suite 238, Potsdam, NY 13676