Cardinals thwart Bears rally, 3-2


POTSDAM, N.Y.—St. John Fisher College (3-2-1) scored two late goals and held off a final push to defeat the SUNY Potsdam men's soccer team (2-5) 3-2 on Sunday afternoon at Maxcy Hall Turf field. Freshman forward Ben Firlit and sophomore forward Eduardo Figueroa each scored for Potsdam.

St. John Fisher slowly built offensive pressure in the first half and finally broke through at the 18:38 mark. Cardinal Sophomore midfielder Mike Lynch moved ball ahead to junior midfielder Josh Tomko. Tomko split the defenders and kicked the ball past charging Bears senior goalkeeper Joseph Glackin for a 1-0 lead. Potsdam responded with several chances over the rest of the half, but was unable to tie the game. The Bears had an 8-6 advantage in shots at the break.

Potsdam's momentum carried into the final period. In the 50th minute, freshman forward Ben Firlit buried a pass from fellow freshman Tom Benedetto to tie the score. Two minutes later Firlit nearly struck again, but fired just high of the crossbar. Both teams traded drives down the field over the next 20 minutes. The Cardinals regained the lead in the 77th minute, as senior midfielder Kris Toscano launched a curving shot into the upper right corner of the Potsdam net. Six minutes later, senior defender Stefan John finished a pass from senior midfielder Nick Calo to make it 3-1 Fisher. A scuffle ensued resulting in a red card for Glackin. In the 86th minute, Figueroa picked up the ball across midfield, fought off two defenders and fired it past Metcalf to cut the gap to 3-2. After a Toscano opportunity was tipped over the crossbar by new Bears goalkeeper Jake Gyder in the 88th, Metcalfe smothered Potsdam's last chance as time ran out.

In goal, Metcalf finished with four saves to earn the victory. Glackin made two stops in the first 82:18 for the Bears and Gyder turned aside the only shot he faced in the final 7:42.

Next, Potsdam hosts SUNY Plattsburgh in its SUNYAC opener on Saturday, Sept. 22 at 1 p.m.