You are here
Commencement 2018 will take place on Saturday, May 19 in the Academic Quad (Rain or Shine).
Party in the Plaza will take place on Friday, May 18. Students, faculty and staff are invited to listen to music and grab a bite to eat. A class photo will be taken as the Alumni Association welcomes the Class of 2018 into their ranks.
Eligibility - Who may participate in Commencement?
Undergraduate Students may participate in Commencement if:
- You have completed 100 academic hours by the end of the fall 2017 semester,
- AND if you have submitted an Application for Undergraduate Degree.
If you do not meet the 100 hour requirement but can show that you will be within 14 credits of completing your graduation requirements by the end of the spring 2018 semester, and that you will complete them by December 2018, you may apply for a waiver to participate in Commencement through the Registrar's Office. The deadline for waiver applications is March 1.
Graduate students may participate in Commencement if:
- You will complete your degree requirements in
- December 2017,
- May 2018,
- August 2018 or
- December 2018 (with permission from the Center for Graduate Studies)
- AND have submitted an Application for Graduate Degree.
Academic Requirements (By Friday, February 2)
Your first step toward graduation is to make certain you meet all academic requirements. Here are some steps to follow to ensure you have completed all your requirements:
- Plan to meet with your adviser soon to review your courses and requirements on BearDEN.
- Undergraduate students should file the Application for Undergraduate Degree by Friday, February 2. You can confirm that your application has been received on BearPaws (Academic Transcript) and in BearDen (Graduation Status) 3 days after your application is submitted.
- Graduate students should file the Application for Graduate Degree by Friday, February 2.
The Application for Degree also reserves your seat at the Commencement ceremonies.
Grad Finale (March 20)
- The Grad Finale will be held on Tuesday, March 20, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the lobby of the Barrington Student Union.
- Bachelor's and master's students should purchase your cap and gown and visit tables with a number of campus representatives including Financial Aid, Registrar's Office, Student Gift Committee, Alumni Association, Career Planning, Commencement Committee, Student Account's Office, The College Store and Jostens.
- If you ordered graduation regalia online before March 20, 2018 and requested pick up at the store, it will be available during Grad Finale.
Personalized announcements, which include name, degree and major, are available from Balfour at the Grad Finale in the Student Union or online. There is no order deadline, but allow three weeks for delivery.
Tickets are not required for the outdoor commencement ceremony. In the event of severe weather, the outdoor ceremony will be moved inside. Due to limited seating, tickets will be required for this emergency ceremony. Each student will receive 4 tickets at the Grad Finale.
Commencement Program (By April 1)
If you have completed the appropriate Application for Degree (see Academic Requirements above) by April 1, you can check your Commencement program name, degree, major(s), and college honors on BearPAWS on the May Graduation Ceremony page. If you apply after April 1, your name will not appear in the program, but you may still participate in the Commencement ceremony. As mentioned previously, you can confirm that your application has been received on BearPaws (Academic Transcript) and in BearDen (Graduation Status) 3 days after your application is submitted.
Honors Cords (In April)
- Undergraduate students who have earned at least a 3.25 cumulative average after completing 100 academic semester hours (exclusive of physical education), 45 of these at SUNY Potsdam, by the end of the fall 2017 semester, are eligible to wear a College honors cord (silver), available for purchase through The College Store.
- Cum Laude (3.25-3.49): maroon tassel
- Magna Cum Laude (3.5-3.74): silver tassel
- Summa Cum Laude (3.75+) maroon and silver tassel
- All others: black
- Graduate students who have earned at least a 3.9 cumulative average are eligible to wear a College honors cord (gold), available for purchase through The College Store.
To obtain a College honors cord, your name must be listed with an honors designation on BearPAWS on the May Graduation Ceremony page.
Financial Obligations (Early April)
- If you have a Federal Perkins Loan or Federal Stafford Loan, please complete an Exit Interview session.
- The Office of Student Accounts will contact you regarding Federal Perkins Loans.
- The Office of Financial Aid will forward instructions for completion of the online Exit Interviews for Federal Stafford Loans.
- Non-Crane undergraduates who have applied for May graduation will receive a Graduation Status check through email by early May.
- If you have questions, meet with your adviser or contact the Registrar's Office in Raymond Hall 313.
- Your student account bill must be paid in full or deferred by Certified Financial Aid to allow the release of your transcripts, final grades and diploma. Updated billing information can be viewed online 24/7 in the Cashnet e-Payment Portal, which can be accessed through BearPAWS using the e-bill link.
Additional Requirements (By April 19)
- Clear all holds by Thursday, April 19. The College will withhold your transcript and diploma until your obligations are satisfied.
- Make sure your parking tickets are paid.
- Library books, keys and borrowed College equipment should be returned.
Cap & Gown (May)
- Students planning on wearing a cap and gown may purchase them through The College Store (315) 267-2573 or you may order online.
- Your cap and gown will be available for pick up at The College Store as follows:
- Beginning March 20 at Grad Finale or any time after March 20 at the College Store during store hours.
- Saturday, May 19 from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- All graduates will receive 4 tickets to the emergency weather ceremony when you pick up your cap and gown. No tickets are required for the outdoor ceremony.
Friday, May 18 - 1 - 2 p.m. - Party In The Plaza - Minerva Plaza
- Listen to music, grab a bite to eat and be part of your class photo as the Alumni Association welcomes the Class of 2018 into their ranks.
Saturday, May 19 - Bachelor's Ceremony - 10:15 a.m. - Academic Quad (View Commencement Schedule)
- Students who are physically challenged and require special arrangements should contact Casey Nelson at email@example.com or (315) 267-2013.
- Seating for guests who are physically challenged or require special accommodations will be available. There will be a sign language interpreter on the Commencement stage. Guests can learn more about Accessibility on the Commencement Logistics webpage.
Please Note: Some care should be given to decisions about whether to invite very elderly or infirm guests to the ceremony. The outdoor ceremony exposes people to the elements. Seating will be available in the Multi-Purpose Room of the Barrington Student Union for those who cannot tolerate the elements will be able to see the ceremony on a large screen.
Specific Questions - Please Contact:
Accommodations for Physically Challenged
firstname.lastname@example.org or (315) 267-2013
Application to Graduate
Vicki Fredericks, Registrar's Office
email@example.com or (315) 267-3100
Nicole Zeledon, Graduate Studies
firstname.lastname@example.org or (315) 267-3066
Caps, Gowns, Honors Cords, Graduation Announcements
- Lyndon Lake, Director, The College Store
email@example.com or (315) 267-3274
Room Reservations (on or after April 5)
- Residence Life Office in Draime Hall Extension
- Call Katherine Kelley at (315) 267-2114 to register for childcare