Generic E-mail Client Settings
SUNY Owned Devices
The CTS Helpdesk configures all SUNY owned computers/stipend devices to use either Mozilla's Thunderbird (Windows), Apple's Mail program (OS X), iPhone, and Droid (K9 Mail) devices. These are the only email programs supported by the Helpdesk. The CTS Helpdesk only supports students using our webmail client, BearMail.
These instructions are platform/operating system independent. The only requirement is that your email client software support the IMAP mail protocol. Thunderbird, Apple's Mail.app, and the iPhone/iPod Touch all are IMAP compliant.
- Your incoming mail (IMAP) server should be imap.potsdam.edu.
- Use Port 993 with SSL enabled.
- Your return address should be firstname.lastname@example.org where 'username' is your SUNY Potsdam E-mail account name (e.g. doe99).
- The outgoing server is: smtp.potsdam.edu
- Use port: 465
- For security we use SMTP-Auth over SSL and your CCA is your username and password for the send mail server.
LDAP Address Book Lookups
If your client also supports LDAP Directory Lookups for email addresses, the information below is provided for configuration. The lookups only work when you are on campus and connected to the Administrative Network. Residence Halls are on a different network and, as such, this service is unable.
- Server: ldap.potsdam.edu
- Use port: 389
- Base DN: ou=People,o=potsdam.edu