OS X lets you connect to Windows Servers. Use this method when the server you want to connect to only supports Windows file sharing.
Note: Helios supports AFP, thus this connection method should not be used with it.
- At the Finder, go to the "Go" item in the menubar and choose "Connect to Server..." and the following dialog box will appear.
- In the Server Address field type the server you want to connect to, in our example that is: smb://helios.potsdam.edu - it is very important to include the smb:// because this tells OS X that it's a Windows Server.
- Optionally click the + sign across from where you just typed. Doing so will add the server to your Favorite Server list so that next time you need only double-click helios.potsdam.edu to connect.
- Click Connect and the following dialog box will appear:
- Enter your Username and Password for the server. Note for 10.4 users: you will also be asked for the Domain to connect to, it is: POTSDAM
- Select the shared directory that you want to use. Note for 10.4 users: if the share you want is not listed, click Authenticate/Re-Authenticate (not shown above) and re-type your username and password to be sure they are correct.
- The server will appear on your desktop.