Adding a printer in OS X
- Click on the Apple menu in the Upper left of your screen and pull down to System Preferences.
- Locate the Print & Fax icon and click it, the system preference looks similar to below:
- Click the + sign to add a printer.
- Click the Windows icon at the top of the Add screen. Locate potsdam in the list, click it, and then click lorax. You may be asked for your campus username and password. Click Connect once entered.
- Next, find the printer you wish to use in the 3rd column.
- Click the drop down menu that says Choose a Driver... pick Select Software...
- The window that opens will have all of the available printer/copier drivers installed on your Mac. The list can be quite long, you can refine it by using the search box. Click OK when found. If the make/model of the printer/copier is not found, you will have to visit the manufacturer's web site and download it.
- Click Add. The following printer options box appears. Here is where you make make sure that the options for your printer are correct. Select anything that might be missing and click OK.
- You may now close the System Preferences. The printer/copier should be available for use.
Printing With Personally Owned Computers
It is possible to use your personal laptop to print to a public (lab) printer if you have a Campus Computer Account. You will be billed the normal fee for any over printing in these areas the same as if you were using a College computer.
You will only be able to print if you are connected via wired or W@SP in an academic building, or if you are using a VPN connection. If you are unable to get your computer printing properly, there are many public labs you can bring your document to for printing.