VPN on OS X
- Choose System Preferences... from the Apple Menu.
- Click the Network Preference Pane.
- In the lower left of the Network Preference Pane, click the + sign to add a new service, the following appears:
- Choose VPN.
- You can name the service anything, for ease we name ours Potsdam VPN.
- Click Create.
- Change the following items only:
Server Address: vpn.potsdam.edu
Account Name: (your CCA)
Encryption: Maximum (128 bit only)
Check the box to Show VPN status in menubar
- Click Apply and you can Close the System Preferences.
- Setup of VPN is complete, you can now toggle the connection via the Menu Bar Item as shown below.
VPN Passthru: most home wireless routers have or have added in their latest firmware a specific
option to "allow VPN passthru". Unfortunately, most of the time this option is disabled. You will need to connect to your router and enable this for VPN to work. If there is more than one option, enable the option for PPTP VPN Passthru. Consult your router's manual or the manufacturer's website for detailed instructions.
Protocol 43/GRE Issues: Some home routers do not support Protocol 43/GRE PPTP passthrough which our VPN service requires. If you bypass your router and find that you are able to connect, check with the manufacturer of your router for a firmware update.