VPN on Windows Vista/7
Creating a New VPN Connection (Vista & 7)
- Select the Start menu
- Select the Control Panel
- Choose the Network and Sharing panel
- Setup a connection or network
- Choose Connect to a workplace
- Choose Use my Internet connection (VPN)
- Internet address: should be set to vpn.potsdam.edu
- Destination Name: You can name the connection however you want. We'll say "Potsdam VPN" as an example.
- Do not "dial the initial connection" (Vista) / "Don't connect now; just setup so I can connect later" (Windows 7)
- Allow other people to use this connection should be checked.
- (Vista Only) Create this connection for should be set to Anyone's use
- Click Next
- For Username and Password use your CCA.
- Domain (optional): should be POTSDAM.
- Click Connect
- Select your connection type as: Work
Your VPN Connection is now setup. You connect/disconnect via the Taskbar as the below screen shots demonstrate.
Connecting with Windows Vista
Connect by right+clicking the network icon in the taskbar and choosing Connect to network.
Click Connect at the connection window.
To stop your VPN connection, right+click the Network icon in the Taskbar, choose Disconnect from, and then Potsdam VPN.
Connecting with Windows 7
PPTP: Make sure your VPN connection type is set for "PPTP" and not one of the other options. You can check this in the Connect box where you enter your user name and password to connect. Click "Properties" and then the "Security" tab. PPTP is selectable under the drop down called "Type of VPN."
VPN Passthru: most home wireless routers have or have added in their latest firmware a specific
option to "allow VPN passthru". Unfortunately, most of the time this option is disabled. You will need to connect to your router and enable
this for VPN to work. If there is more than one option, enable the
option for PPTP VPN Passthru. Consult your router's manual or the
manufacturer's website for detailed instructions.
Protocol 43/GRE Issues: Some home routers do not support Protocol 43/GRE PPTP passthrough which our VPN service requires. If you bypass your router and find that you are able to connect, check with the manufacturer of your router for a firmware update.