VPN on Windows XP
Creating a new VPN Connection:
- Select the Start menu
- Choose Control Panel
- Select Network Connections panel
- Create A New Connection
- Next button
- Connect to the network at my workplace
- Virtual Private Network Connection
- Company Name: You can name the connection however you want. We'll say "Potsdam" as an example.
- Do not dial the initial connection
- hostname should be set to vpn.potsdam.edu
- Create this connection for should be set to Anyone's use
- Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop should be checked for convenience
- For username and password use your CCA.
- You may now use this shortcut to Connect and Disconnect from VPN at will.
VPN Passthru: most home wireless routers have or have added in their latest firmware a specific
option to "allow VPN passthru". Unfortunately, most of the time this option is disabled. You will need to connect to your router and enable
this for VPN to work. If there is more than one option, enable the
option for PPTP VPN Passthru. Consult your router's manual or the
manufacturer's website for detailed instructions.
Protocol 43/GRE Issues: Some home routers do not support Protocol 43/GRE PPTP passthrough which our VPN service requires. If you bypass your router and find that you are able to connect, check with the manufacturer of your router for a firmware update.