Learn Why Campus Annual Giving Group Members Give to SUNY Potsdam
- Melissa Evans: “Betty Reese said, ‘If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito.’ I give because … for me, the gesture lets people know I believe in the mission of SUNY Potsdam [and] I want to help students succeed… I have no doubt, much like that mosquito, my gift is effective.”
- Vicki Hayes: “I quote Edward Everett Hale, an author and clergyman: ‘I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something I can do.’ I give to SUNY Potsdam … for many reasons, the main reason being that the College has always taken care of me. SUNY Potsdam educated me … and now employs me as an Instructor / Clinical Faculty. I always felt the need to ‘do something I can do’ to give back … and, given that the students are the ‘reason for our season,’ the real question … is, how can we afford not to ‘do something we can do’ for them and for our College?
- Parker Piercey: “I feel that by giving a small amount back to the College, I have greater peace of mind.…”
- Ruth Policella: “I have been so fortunate … at SUNY Potsdam to work with outstanding students, faculty and staff. I truly value the work of my colleagues and am constantly impressed with the success of our students. I give back to support the ongoing development of our students.”
- Carlie Robinson: “I have observed many students over the years and see what a major role the College has played in their lives. The College has played a major role in my life as well. I believe it is important, and I believe it is time to give back!”
- Arlene Stillwell: “I donate to the Psychology Department… because it directly benefits my students and my colleagues. We use that money to fund all sorts of departmental activities, from student travel … to purchasing items that students and faculty need for their research projects. I give via payroll deduction, so I never have to think about it. …I can see the good that comes out of my donation nearly every day.
- Jan Trybula: “…In the past few years I arrived at the decision that I want to give back to academia. No… ‘want’ is to too weak of a word. I need to give back. I am so grateful for all the opportunities that I had as a student…. [So] I began to give back to my undergraduate and graduate alma maters. But what about SUNY Potsdam? …As Chair of Faculty Senate, I sit on the Potsdam College Foundation Board and have seen all the great ways that giving helps…. I have … [heard] the stories of students as to how those scholarships have changed their lives. Frequently I meet students whose families are struggling…; and, being a first-generation college student, I can appreciate what those families are going through…. Thus have I arrived at the decision that I also need to give to Potsdam and I hope that I can encourage my colleagues to do likewise.”