The National Weather Service reports that Hurricane Sandy is now moving north and accelerating, expected to bring strong winds and rain to the North Country, with the potential for downed trees and power outages. St. Lawrence County has declared a state of emergency in advance of the storm.
EVENING CLASSES CANCELLED:
SUNY Potsdam has cancelled all classes beginning at 4 p.m. and later on Monday, Oct. 29.
SUNY Potsdam classes offered on Monday in Watertown at Jefferson Community College have been cancelled, starting at 12:20 p.m.
NON-CREDIT COURSES & PROGRAMS IN POTSDAM:
All non-credit programs through the Center for Lifelong Education and Recreation (CLEAR) have been cancelled starting at 3:30 p.m. on Monday.
OTHER CAMPUS ACTIVITIES:
Departments and organizers make the decision as to whether to cancel activities, meetings, rehearsals and other events on campus. Check with the appropriate department regarding the status of events scheduled for this afternoon and evening.
NO UNNECESSARY TRAVEL:
Your safety is of the utmost concern. In severe weather conditions, always use caution and discretion when deciding to travel.
Faculty and staff are expected to work normal hours, and should consult with their supervisors regarding concerns about travel to and from work. To view the College’s extraordinary weather policy, visit www.potsdam.edu/offices/hr/upload/Weatherpolicy.pdf.
POTENTIAL FOR POWER OUTAGE:
Hurricane Sandy has the potential to lead to downed trees and an extensive power outage, according to the National Weather Service. We will do our best to communicate whether classes and events have been postponed or cancelled for Tuesday, Oct. 30, as more information becomes available.
RESIDENT STUDENT ADVISORY:
In the event of high winds, strong rains and potential power outages, take the following precautions:
• Stay indoors during the storm.
• Shut and lock your windows.
• Remove belongings from windowsills.
• Fully charge cell phones and computers in advance.
• Unplug nonessential items.
• In a power outage, only flashlights should be used. Candles and open flames are prohibited in residence halls at ALL times.
• The Barrington Student Union is the designated assembly area for residential students in the event of a fire alarm or an evacuation.
• If there is a power outage, wait for Residence Life to give instruction.
• Residence Life will identify and staff card access doors during a power outage.
• Please take caution when opening and closing external doors in high winds. Avoid using the handicapped accessible automated doors during the storm.
Please report any emergencies or unsafe conditions such as downed trees or flooding to University Police at (315) 267-2222.
Your safety is SUNY Potsdam’s No. 1 priority. The College’s emergency response team is meeting again this afternoon to assess the status of Hurricane Sandy.
Please watch your e-mail and check www.potsdam.edu for the most up-to-date information.