You are here
SUNY Potsdam's CLEAR Announces 2011 Summer Day Camp Offerings
The Center for Lifelong Education and Recreation at SUNY Potsdam is excited to offer nine summer day camps for local children in 2011. With programs throughout the summer covering a wide range of subjects, you're sure to find at least one camp your children will love.
The CLEAR summer day camps are open to youths aged 4 to 18 and include sessions focused on sports, the arts and more.
The 2011 CLEAR summer camps include:
• Gym Rats Basketball Clinic: Young players aged 4 to 9 learn basic dribbling, passing and shooting skills in this beginner’s camp taught by Potsdam basketball head coaches Sherry Dobbs Jr. and Tara Ruckh.
• Gymnastics Day Camp: Campers can learn and improve technique on the bars, beam, vault, floor and rings, with daily games and contests adding to the fun.
• Softball Day Camp: Middle and high school players can improve their softball skills such as hitting, fielding and pitching, while playing games against other girls from across the North Country.
• Princess Day Camp: A magical week of creativity, with singing, dancing and crafts all organized around a Disney princess theme. Girls are encouraged to dress up for the fun.
• Adventure Camp: A co-ed camp for pre-schoolers, this program will allow children to journey through a variety of adventures, like ocean and deep space exploration and superhero training.
• Volleyball Camp: Strengthen high school skills and learn about team development while focusing on game fundamentals and strategies with Potsdam volleyball Coach Steve Pike.
• Creative Arts Camp: Experience the process of creating and presenting art through one of four pathways: creative writing, dance, drama and visual arts. Each program ends with a public exhibition on Aug. 13. Creative writers will read their work in a coffeehouse setting. Dance and drama campers will perform material they have rehearsed, and visual artists will exhibit their work in a gallery.
• Bears Hockey Player Development Camp: Potsdam Hockey Coaches Chris Bernard and Jay Green, along with their support staff, will assist players in improving skating technique, stick-handling skills, shooting, and passing skills.
• Potsdam Soccer Academy: Experience the game of soccer at the Bears Soccer Academy designed for boys and girls entering grades K-12 with SUNY Potsdam Head Soccer Coach Tim Moody. Fundamental soccer skills will be taught, integrated with agility, balance, and coordination exercises.
Those aren’t the only youth summer enrichment programs offered on the SUNY Potsdam campus. Community Performance Series will again welcome back the Rebecca Kelly Ballet, which will offer a day camp for young dancers on campus.
In addition, the College will once again host its successful Crane Youth Music and Bears Basketball camps, in addition to its swim and soccer camps.
Day camp forms can be found at http://www.potsdam.edu/community/camps/day/index.cfm.
The Center for Lifelong Education and Recreation is the designated department on the SUNY Potsdam campus for organizing all conferences, workshops, summer camps, non-credit programs and trainings. For more information, call CLEAR at (315) 267-2167 or visit www.potsdam.edu/community/clear.
Founded in 1816, and located on the outskirts of the beautiful Adirondack Park, The State University of New York at Potsdam is one of America’s first 50 colleges. SUNY Potsdam currently enrolls approximately 4,350 undergraduate and graduate students. Home to the world-renowned Crane School of Music, SUNY Potsdam is known for its handcrafted education, challenging liberal arts and sciences core, excellence in teacher training and leadership in the performing and visual arts.