- Fill out employment forms: I-9, W-4 and IT-2104 tax forms, demographic form and Oath of Office. Your Human Resources professional will help with this.
- Obtain campus computer account access: Your campus computer account will be available to you through your department secretary or at the Computing and Technology Service office in Stillman Hall.
- Meet your supervisor and co-workers: Get to know the people you will be working with and join them for lunch. Try to learn the names of at least four of your co-workers by the end of the day.
- Tour work area and building: Get to know your workplace as well. This includes the mail room, break room, emergency exit, restrooms, parking location, and more.
- Sign up for direct deposit: This service will enable payroll to deposit your earning directly to your bank account. You will use the following form to enroll in direct deposit direct deposit form. Your Human Resources professional can help with this.
- Parking: If you drive to campus, you will need to obtain an employee parking sticker at University Police. University Police is located in Van Housen Extension. Go online for more information.
- Meet with your Benefits Manager in Human Resources to review and sign up for benefits. Please call (315) 267-4816 for an appointment.
- Obtain a SUNY Potsdam identification card. Please visit http://www.potsdam.edu/studentlife/SUNYCard.cfm for more information.
- Review training and development plan: Talk to your supervisor about your job duties and expectations. Non faculty employees should work with their supervisor to complete a performance program. Please visit http://www.potsdam.edu/offices/hr/forms.cfm to obtain the appropriate template.
- Learn about the employee group you belong to (CSEA, UUP, Management Confidential, PEF, GSEU, PBA). Ask your supervisor if you don't know which group you belong to.
- Partner with a mentor or buddy: Talk with your supervisor to see if there are a few fellow employees your supervisor would suggest you get to know. Make a point of introducing yourself to those people this first week and see if you can meet them for coffee or a walking break.
- Obtain important contact information: Ask your supervisor for a list of the most commonly occurring questions in your office and make sure you have contact information for the people who can help you with these questions.
- Take campus tour: Visit the many wonderful sites and buildings on the SUNY Potsdam campus. You may want to bring a campus map with you.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): The New York State Employee Assistance Program is a confidential assessment and referral service for New York State government employees and their family members who need assistance with personal problems or concerns that may be affecting their work performance or overall well-being. For more information, visit the EAP website.
- Visit the Maxcy Hall Fitness Center: For more information, visit their website.