Printer-friendly version

Day Trip: International via Automobile

  1. When planning your trip, submit completed and approved Travel Requisition to Purchasing and Payables, 415 Raymond Hall.
  2. Have a safe trip. SAVE all receipts and be sure to present your NYS Tax Exempt Form for all qualified transactions.
  3. After your trip is done, complete a Travel Expense Claim Form, being sure to include Departure and Return Date and Times.

*If your receipts are in foreign currency; write that amount on the Travel Voucher, noting the foreign currency.

  • Day trip meals without receipts: Breakfast $5.00, Dinner $12.00
  • With receipts, reimbursement will be for the maximum allowed for the area.

    Determine the Lodging and Meal Allowance for your destination:

    International Per Diem Rates & Meal Breakdown

    View Foreign Per Diem Rates by Country

    After selecting the Country you are traveling to using the link above, obtain M&IE information from the chart, and use the breakdown below for Meal Allowances:

    • 20% for breakfast
    • 80% for dinner
  • Mileage Reimbursement: Enter the number of miles traveled, multiplied by the mileage rate.
  • Incidental Expenses: Receipts are required for all incidental expenses. List the description of each expense and enter the total expense in the appropriate space. (May include tolls, parking, taxi, bus, subway, business calls, etc.).
  • Total all travel expenses and carry Total Travel Expenses to 2) Summary. Subtract B,C, and D to determine Total Amount To Be Reimbursed to Traveler.
  • Attach all related receipts.
  • Payee?s Certification and Submission: Please sign and date and obtain your supervisor?s signature with date.

You have now completed your Travel Voucher.

If you claimed personal car mileage, you must also submit a Statement of Automobile Travel form. Attach it to your Travel Voucher, and send both along with your receipts to the Purchasing and Payables Office, 415 Raymond Hall.

If a State Vehicle was used for your trip, your paperwork is now complete. Send your Travel Voucher along with receipts to the Purchasing and Payables Office, 415 Raymond Hall.

Travel Reimbursement Information

  • Employees that receive part or all of their paycheck in a check will continue to receive a check for their travel/expense reimbursements. However, that check will be mailed to the same address as the one that appears on the employee?s paycheck. There is no option to have travel reimbursements sent to a different address.
  • Employees that have their full paycheck direct deposited to one bank account will have their travel/expense reimbursements deposited to that same account.
  • Employees that have their direct deposit split across more than one account will have their travel/ expense reimbursements deposited into the account where the balance of their pay goes. For example, if you have $300 per paycheck direct deposited to Bank A and the balance to Bank B, your travel/expense reimbursement will go to Bank B. If you are unsure how your direct deposit is set up in regard to multiple deposits or if you wish to make changes to your direct deposit account, contact the payroll office.
  • Employees will not receive any notification that a direct deposit has occurred. They would be aware that a reimbursement will be coming and the amount when they submit their Travel Voucher.
  • Employee reimbursements for travel/expenses will be paid on an ongoing basis and are not impacted by the payroll schedule; employees will be reimbursed as travel reimbursement vouchers are processed.

If you have any questions regarding policies and procedures in advance of your travel we encourage you to contact us at 267-2143. We can guide you through the requisition and reimbursement processes, ensuring timely and complete reimbursement of all qualified expenses.