You are here
Early Alert Grading
The Registrar will notify faculty via E-mail when Early Alert rosters will be available for grading on the web each semester.
Special Notes and Helpful Hints:
- Do not use the "Back" button on your browser when grading, or your grades may not be properly saved. Instead click on "Return to Menu" at the top right of the page.
- Submit grades only for those UNDERGRADUATE students currently performing at or BELOW THE 2.0 LEVEL in your class(es) and any students taking your class for graduate credit performing at or BELOW THE 3.0 LEVEL. Note: If you are teaching a 500 level course, you may have some students taking your course for either undergraduate or graduate credit. The appropriate grade options will show up depending on how the student is registered for the course.
- Students with Early Alert grades should be encouraged to contact you and their advisor as soon as possible to discuss strategies for academic improvement, possible course Withdrawal, and the Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory grading option.
- Please submit Early Alerts even if you have notified the students in person of their course standing, since copies of the Early Alerts go to academic advisors, special program counselors and sports team coaches who can offer students academic assistance.
- If a student has never attended or has stopped attending your class, please submit a 0.0 grade. This will prompt the student to officially drop or withdraw from your course.
- Please take note of a new, important feature of Early Alerts! Faculty now have the feature of checking a box that indicates "No Early Alerts To Report" for each class. It's an important part of data analysis so that we can account for all courses in the Early Alert system. Please be sure to check this box if you are not submitting an alert for anyone in a course.
How to Submit Your Early Alert Grades:
If you experience any browser problems (pages not loading, buttons not working, error messages, etc.) please contact the Helpdesk at 267-2083 for assistance.
- Log on to BearPAWS at http://bearpaws.potsdam.edu
- Click on <Faculty and Advisers> to get to <Faculty Services>.
- Click on <Early Alerts >.
- Select the term from the pull-down menu, and submit it.
- Click on the CRN of the course you wish to choose.
- Select the P-number of the student for whom you wish to submit an Early Alert. This will take you to the Early Alert form.
- On the Early Alert form you have the options to choose a grade or leave it as ?Not Available,? choose one or more ?Suggestions for Improvement,? and/or type in individual comments for the student.
- Click on the <Submit> button at the bottom of the page to save your responses.
- You will be returned to the page which lists all of your students. A note will display next to any student for whom you have submitted an Early Alert.
- You can change the Early Alerts you have submitted up until the deadline.
- Click on <Exit> at the top right of the page to log out of BearPAWS when you are done.