Printer-friendly version

Satisfactory / Unsatisfactory

S/U on the Transcript

"S" is recorded for a grade of 2.0 or higher. "U" is recorded for a grade lower than 2.0.

Both "S" and "U" are recorded on the transcript, but neither is calculated in the cumulative grade point average. "S" confers credit for a course; "U" does not.

Choosing S/U as an Option

Students may consider this option for a maximum of 14 semester hours during an entire college career, but cannot choose it when repeating a class.


To select this option, students must file a form with the Registrar's Office before the end of the withdrawal period (the end of the eighth week of classes). Check out the Academic Calendar for important dates and deadlines.

Courses Offered only as S/U

In certain courses, the College itself may award an S* or U* (e.g., P.E. experiences, student teaching, music studio courses). Students graded in this manner will not have such credits considered as part of the 14-semester-hour maximum.

Visit our Grading Policies webpage for more details about the College grading systems.