Printer-friendly version

Previously Dismissed from the College

First Dismissal: Previously dismissed students must be away from campus for one full academic semester (fall or spring) from the date of their dismissal from SUNY Potsdam before a Readmission Application will be considered. Students wishing to return to SUNY Potsdam following this dismissal must demonstrate academic readiness in the Application for Readmission after Dismissal form. Students may also be required to complete an interview regarding their academic readiness prior to readmission.

Second Dismissal: Students dismissed for a second time may not continue their education at SUNY Potsdam.

The following procedures apply to those who were previously matriculated at SUNY Potsdam and who desire readmission after being dismissed from the College:

  1. All previously dismissed students seeking readmission must first fill out a Application for Readmission After Dismissal form by clicking the link below.

    View Application for Readmission After Dismissal Here

  2. Send official transcripts from any other colleges attended in your time away from SUNY Potsdam. A decision regarding your application for readmission to SUNY Potsdam will be delayed until we receive all official transcripts from the above schools.
  3. Any "holds" (ie: financial, student conduct, overdue books, parking fines, etc.) on a student record must be cleared before readmission can be considered. You will be notified of the hold(s) and your application will be held until your responsibility to the College has been satisfied.
  4. Your application, all transcripts from other colleges and the SUNY Potsdam academic file will be forwarded to the Provost's Office for a final decision. If denied, you will be notified in writing.
  5. If approved to return, students must take and complete at least 12 semester hours at SUNY Potsdam, earn a 2.5 GPA for the returning semester and a 2.0 overall GPA or be eligible for final dismissal.
  6. If your application for readmission is approved, you will be notified in writing and receive a packet of information regarding registration and advising.
  7. Prior to meeting with your academic advisor, you will meet with Kristin Jordan in the Student Success Center to set up a meeting to review the re-entry procedures and to discuss college conditions for re-admission and course scheduling.
  8. You will be assigned an academic advisor in your previous major area of study (if unchanged).
  9. If you are planning to change your major, the Chair of that department will be asked to meet with you concerning advisement. Once advised, you will be asked to officially declare that major and will be assigned a permanent advisor in the department.