You are here
Previously Graduated from SUNY Potsdam
NOTE: If the student’s first degree was not awarded by SUNY Potsdam, the student must apply to the Office of Admissions as a transfer student. The student must also meet the other general requirements below.
The following procedures apply to those who previously completed an undergraduate degree at SUNY Potsdam and who desire post-undergraduate degree readmission as a matriculated student to pursue a second undergraduate degree, or as a non-matriculated student to pursue a second major, a minor, student teaching certification, or to complete undergraduate pre-requisites for a Graduate program.
- Students seeking post-undergraduate degree readmission must first fill out a Post-Degree Readmission Application and, for those students seeking a 2nd undergraduate degree or returning for a minor or second major, an Educational Plan.
- Send official transcripts from any other colleges attended (if applicable).
- Any "holds" on a student record must be cleared before readmission can be considered.
- Submit a fully completed Application and Education Plan (if required) to Susan Jones, Interim Assistant Registrar.
Applications require Adobe Acrobat Reader
Second Degree (Matriculated)
If you graduated from SUNY Potsdam and would like to complete a second undergraduate degree, you should consider the following before applying:
- The second degree major must be completely different from the first major.
- The second degree major cannot be a previous degree minor.
- You must complete 30 additional hours, which must be earned subsequent to admission for the second degree; 15 of those 30 hours must be upper division in the major and in residence at SUNY Potsdam.
- A minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average is required for completion of the second degree program.
- You may be required to complete certain general education requirements depending on when you earned your first degree.
- You will be enrolled as a matriculated student and will be eligible to apply for financial aid.
- Readmission is a privilege and the Registrar reserves the right to deny applications that are incomplete.
In addition to the Post-Degree Readmission Application, students must also complete the Second Degree Educational Plan; this section of the application must be completed with an academic advisor from the major department.
The Application, Educational Plan, and any transcripts will be evaluated by the College Registrar for a final decision.
Minor or Second Major (Non-Matriculated)
If you graduated from SUNY Potsdam and would like to complete a minor or second undergraduate major, you should consider the following before applying:
- You must meet with the Department Chairperson in the minor area to discuss the feasibility of your plans and to sign your Educational Plan.
- If accepted, you will be enrolled as a Non-matriculated student and will not be eligible for Financial Aid.
- Upon certification by the Office of the Registrar that the major or minor requirements have been fulfilled, a comment will be added to the non-matriculated transcript: “Completed all courses required for XXX major/minor.”
Prerequisites for the MST or Other Graduate Program (Non-Maticulated)
If you have earned a Bachelor's Degree and anticipate acceptance into the SUNY Potsdam MST program (or another institution’s Graduate program) after fulfilling the appropriate prerequisite undergraduate courses, you should consider the following:
- Students who can supply a letter from another institution with accredited graduate programs, verifying that they have been provisionally admitted to a graduate program pending only the completion of specific prerequisite courses, may register for the number of credits permitted for matriculated students and may be eligible for financial aid.
- You will be enrolled as a Non-matriculated student and must complete additional forms in the Continuing Education Office.
- You will be eligible to apply for Financial Aid once the Graduate Studies Office has verified that you are eligible to enroll in the MST program once the prerequisites are complete.
Teacher Certification Only (Non-Matriculated)
If you have earned a Bachelor's Degree and are considering enrolling in undergraduate classes to complete requirements for teacher certification (through BOCES or other certifying agency) you should consider the following:
- You will be enrolled as a Non-matriculated student and must complete additional forms through the Office of Continuing Education.
- You may be eligible to apply for Financial Aid when appropriate documentation to support your intention toward certification is receive.