Printer-friendly version

Residence Life Basics

  • Occupancy Policies: All students living on campus are required to agree to/sign the Housing License. The License is for a full academic year, both fall and spring semesters. There is a $250 termination fee for assessed for any approved releases. As a resident, you are expected to familiarize yourself with all of the housing and residence life policies.
  • Keys: You will be given a room key at the start of the semester and you are responsible for keeping the key with you at all times. For your protection, you must always lock your door (whether you have gone to class, hit the showers or you are off to see a performance at Crane)!
    Locked out? If you get locked out of your room, an RA can let you back in. You can find the RAs in their rooms or the RA Office during posted hours. Please be aware that if a resident accumulates excessive lockouts they may face disciplinary action.
    Lost your Keys? Residents are required to report to the Residence Life Office if they lose their keys; there is a $50 charge to replace a lost key and have the lock changed.
  • Electronic Building Access System: Your residence hall is equipped with a keyless entry system. Residential students can use their SUNY ID Card to gain access to any residence area. The system is activated 24 hours a day. University Police monitors all exterior doors and responds when they are left ajar.
    Lost your SUNY ID Card? Report a lost ID card immediately. If you need to report it during the week, contact the PACES Business Office in Merritt Hall between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. (4 p.m. on Fridays). If lost during a weekend or evening, notify a cashier in the Barrington Student Union and University Police in Van Housen Hall (they will help you access your quad/residence hall). It is your responsibility to report your card is missing; PACES is not responsible for purchases made with lost or stolen cards. Students can deactivate their own SUNY card through your BearPAWS account as well.
    Replacement Fees for Lost ID Cards: A fee of $10 will be imposed for replacement of lost cards..
  • Room Condition Report (RCR) & Townhouse Condition Report(TCR): Upon check-in, you will be asked to fill out a room condition report. This inventory records the condition of your room when you checked in and it is done for your protection. When you check-out, your room will once again be inspected. All residents of the room/suite/Townhouse/apartment will be held equally responsible for any damage not recorded on the inventory at the time of check-in. This process will also occur if a room change is made at any time. If you live in a Townhouse,suite or apartment you will be asked to fill out both a RCR for your bedroom and a separate one for the common areas.
  • Our Recycling Program: SUNY Potsdam participates in a recycling program; all residents are asked to actively recycle their garbage (all paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, aluminum, batteries, medical waste, needles, printer cartridges, etc.) Any large/heavy items to be discarded (including broken glass) should always be brought out directly to the nearest dumpster. All other items should be deposited in the appropriate bins generally found in floor lounges.
  • Residence Hall Activity Fee: On the day you check-in, a residence hall staff will collect a $20 activity fee from you. This money is utilized to sponsor building, floor and campus-wide events including socials, movies, trips, equipment purchases, etc. Students who pay the fee will also get priority for storage should space become limited. Through active involvement in the residence hall, students can help determine how the funds are used.