Residence Life Basics
- Occupancy Policies: All students living on campus are required to agree to/sign the Housing License. The License is for a full academic year, both fall and spring semesters. As a resident, you are expected to familiarize yourself with all of the housing and residence life policies.
- Keys: You will be given a room key at the start of the semester and you are responsible for keeping the key with you at all times. For your protection, you must always lock your door (whether you’ve gone to class, hit the showers or you’re off to see a performance at Snell Theater)!
Locked out? If you get locked out of your room, an RA can let you back in. Please be aware that if a resident accumulates excessive lockouts they may face disciplinary action.
Lost your Keys? Residents are required to report to the Residence Life Office if they lose their keys; there is a $50.00 charge to replace a lost key and have the lock changed.
- Electronic Building Access System: Your residence hall is equipped with a keyless entry system. You can use your SUNY ID Card to gain access to your assigned residence area only and it is activated 24 hours a day. University Police monitors all exterior doors and responds when they are left ajar.
Lost your SUNY ID Card? Report a lost ID card immediately. If you need to report it during the week, contact the PACES Business Office in Merritt Hall between 8am and 4pm. If lost during a weekend or evening, notify a cashier in the Barrington Student Union and University Police in Van Housen Hall (they will help you access your quad/residence hall). It is your responsibility to report your card is missing; PACES is not responsible for purchases made with lost or stolen cards.
Replacement Fees for Lost ID Cards: A fee of $10 will be imposed for replacement of lost cards, and a $2 replacement fee for a damaged card.
- Room Condition Report (RCR) & Townhouse Condition Report(TCR): Upon check-in, you will be required to fill out a room condition report. This inventory records the condition of your room when you checked in and it is done for your protection. When you check-out, your room will once again be inspected. All residents of the room/suite will be held equally responsible for any damage not recorded on the inventory at the time of check-in. This process will also occur if a room change is made at any time. If you live in a townhouse, you will be required to fill out both a RCR and a TCR.
- Our Recycling Program: SUNY Potsdam participates in a recycling program; all residents are asked to actively recycle their garbage (all paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, aluminum, batteries, medical waste, needles, printer cartridges, etc.) Any large/heavy items to be discarded (including broken glass) should always be brought out directly to the nearest dumpster. All other items should be deposited in the appropriate bins generally found in floor lounges.
- Residence Hall Association (RHA) Activity Fee: On the day you check-in, a residence hall staff will collect a $20.00 activity fee from you. This money is utilized to sponsor building, floor and campus-wide events including socials, movies, trips, equipment purchases, etc. Through active involvement in the RHA, students from each hall determine how the funds are used.