Printer-friendly version

Room Issues & Solutions

What should I do if I have problems with my room? Or if I have an issue with a roommate or resident? Who do I go to for help?

  • Conflict with a room/suite/apartment: Ideally, and most often, roommate tension can be worked out by communicating face to face with each other about your concerns. If, however, you have tried to talk things over and neither side is satisfied or you aren't comfortable doing this, the next step is to approach a member of the Residence Life staff in your building about setting up a time to meet to discuss the issues. The staff may do a Roommate Agreement to help facilitate a resolution to the conflict. Click here for the Roommate Bill of Rights.
  • Room change requests: When conflicts cannot be settled between roommates, the last resort is to request a room change. Prior to any changes, you must receive permission from both your current AC/RD/GA and prospective AC/ RD/GA of the new building (if applicable). Then, you will need to fill out a room change request form and follow the same process for checking out/in. Remember that there is a 2 week room freeze at the beginning of each semester and a one week room freeze at the end of the fall semester.
  • Problems with your room: You are responsible for keeping your room clean. If a problem should arise and repairs are needed in your room, contact a Residence Life staff member so she/he can submit a request to the Physical Plant Department for the repairs. Problems in common areas within the residence hall: The college's cleaning & maintenance staff are responsible for keeping common areas such as the bathrooms, hallways, stairwells, lobbies and lounges clean and in working order. If a problem occurs in these areas, these staff members are available and around the hall Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. There is also a small campus crew available for emergencies in the evenings and weekends for emergencies.