Welcome to On-Campus Living!
We hope your on-campus living experience proves to be a smooth ride throughout your academic career. To help you with any bumps along the way, we've offered you a quick reference guide filled with important information you'll need as a SUNY Potsdam resident.
New Policy for Spring 2016
Due to the serious concerns and fire safety risks, SUNY Potsdam is prohibiting all hands-free, self-balancing scooters (more popularly known as Hoverboards from campus residence halls. Effective immediately, hoverboards cannot be used or kept in the residence halls. Please click on the link below for more information.
Residential students who are not graduating are expected to check out of their rooms 24 hours after their last final exam. Students needing an extension should see their Area Coordinator/Residence Director. The residence halls close for all students at 12:00 noon on Sunday, May, 22, 2016. Additional information is listed below:
New Residence Hall Wireless Network
We are pleased to announce that we have partnered with Apogee, a national Resnet provider with an exceptional track record, to enhance your residential experience. The Apogee team spent the summer deploying a new high-speed wireless network in every hall, providing complete coverage and eliminating the need for cable modems. Here is a breif overview of what you can expect on campus:
- Full 802.11 AC wireless coverage in all residence halls.
- Each student can connect 5 personal devices (mobile phones, tablets, computers, smart TVs, etc.).
- Each student will have a dedicated bandwidth if 14Mbps per device.
- Wired ports in most rooms, if you wish to utilize a CAT5 ethernet cable to connect your device.
- Apogee will provide wireless dongle for devices without wireless capabilities.
- 24x7 Call Center for questions and assistance
- An on-campus Apogee Technician to provide assistance.
Apogee and SUNY Potsdam staff have strived to make this an easy transition for all residential students. You only need to bring your devices when you return; no need to purchase cable modems or other equipment.
Because the use of non-campus routers can interfere with the improved Apogee wireless system, students will not be allowed to use their own personal routers.
Instructions for creating an account and connecting to the network are provided at check-in and on a door hangers on every residence hall door and Apogee staff will be available during move-in to assist.
If you have questions about Apogee, their support number is (855) 410-7380.
Safe travels to all returning students, and welcome back for the Fall 2015 semester!Regards,
Residence Life and Potsdam CTS
SUNY Potsdam has a residency requirement for new students. Those that enter as new first year students are asked to live on campus for the first 2 years or 4 semesters. More information about this is listed under "Housing Policies".
When students request on campus housing, you are asked to agree to our housing license. The Housing License is for the entire academic year, both fall and spring semesters.
- Suggested items of what to bring (PDF)
- Early Arrival Form - Are you interested in coming back to campus early this semester? Follow the link to the form.
- Housing Exemption/Release Form (PDF) - (Note: the Housing license is binding for the full academic year, both fall and spring semesters.
- Medical Housing Process and Form (PDF) - For students to request consideration to be excused from their housing obligation for medical reasons or who have special housing needs.
- Comfort Animal Form (PDF) - For residential students to request consideration for a comfort animal in campus housing.
- RA Selection Recommendation forms (PDF) - Residence Life Staff form & Professional Recommendation form