You are here
The Peer Counselor Internship is sponsored by the SUNY Potsdam Counseling Center. Students accepted into the program train to become peer counselors. They work with students in crisis after the Counseling Center is closed under close supervision of professional counselors.
Changes occur in the program each year but the purpose will remain the same: to give all students on campus an additional resource for maintaining their emotional health and well-being.
Guidelines for becoming a PC
- No previous experience is necessary; all majors are welcome.
- Applicants must be SUNY Potsdam students with 12 or more credits and a 2.5 or greater GPA. Graduate students are welcome.
- Two upper division internship credits are awarded for training and for each semester in the Peer Counselor program.
- Applications for Peer Counselor Training can be found online.
- If accepted, you must commit to a semester-long training process in order to fulfill the internship requirements (visit Training Process for more info about what the training component entails).
- As a Peer Counselor (a.k.a. PCs) commitment includes: being part of an on-call rotation where you can be reached from 4:30 p.m. - 8:00 a.m., programming, staff meetings and being a positive, active role model on campus.
- PCs do not need to live on campus.
Fall 2017 Peer Counselor Office Hours
Satellite Office, 121 Draime
Mondays: Noon - 1 p.m.
Tuesdays: 9 - 10 a.m. & 1 - 3 p.m.
Wednesdays: 10 - 11 a.m., Noon - 1 p.m., & 2 - 4 p.m.
Thursdays: 10 a.m. - Noon
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Noon - 1:30 p.m.
Tuesday, Thursday: 11 - 1:30 p.m.