You are here
Suicide Awareness Walk
Fall 2017 Walk
Noon - 2 p.m.
SUNY Potsdam Thatcher Hall
Note: (Registration Opens at 11 a.m.)
Directions & Parking
- Take Route 56 to Pierrepont Ave
- Take the SUNY Potsdam Entrance, Barrington Drive-look for signs!
- Park in either lot 11 or 12 immediately on your left or right after turning onto Barrington - View Parking Map
- Parking is free, no pass is needed. Please do not park in any 15 minute only areas
- Walk straight through the first stop sign. You will see registration outside next to Thatcher Hall and the Barrington Student Union
Registration & Donations
Registration Opens at 11 a.m. at SUNY Potsdam Thatcher Hall
- If you do not register online, you can register on the day of the walk by completing a short form provided to you.
- If you are interested in making a donation for suicide prevention you can do so by going to the SUNY Potsdam Online Giving Form or by donating in person with cash, check or credit card at the Registration table on the day of the walk. If writing a check please make it out to Potsdam College Foundation.
- All donations go directly into the Jeffery Kimball Foundation for Suicide Prevention and Awareness and is used at SUNY Potsdam and the surrounding communities to save lives through programming and intervention.
Walk shirts are available for $10 at the College Bookstore. Shirts will also be available the day of the walk in the Registration area with cash or check and in the College Store at that time if you prefer credit or Bear Express.
What to expect at the Walk
- When you arrive please go to the Registration tables.
- If you registered online we will check you in. You can choose to make a donation if you wish.
- If you did not register online we are happy to do so at that time with a short form.
- There is no fee to walk.
Before the Walk
- After registering you can find several ways to honor a loved one who has died by suicide or find information to help yourself or someone else who is struggling with depression or thoughts of suicide.
- Memory beads
- Purchase and decorate a t-shirt
- View memory quilts from past years
- Create a square for our newest memory quilt
- Pick up a touch stone made by SUNY Potsdam students
- Get information on how to get involved in our Active Minds group
- Learn about our Peer Counselors or talk to one of them about your own feelings
- Promptly at Noon we will welcome the group and start the walk around campus.
- You will see signs marking the path with important facts about suicide.
- Student groups and Counseling Center staff will be guiding the group and ensuring safety.
- The group will return back to the registration area. Light refreshments will be available; there are picnic tables if you wish to get off your feet. A short ceremony follows that includes speakers or readings from students and community members.
If you have any questions, please contact Noreen or Gena at the SUNY Potsdam Counseling Center, 131 Van Housen Hall, (315) 267-2330.