Mission & Goals
Comprised of Collegiate Science and Technology Entry Program (CSTEP), North Country Science and Technology Entry Program (NCSTEP) and Native American Affairs (including the Native American Teaching Initiative), The Center for Diversity exists to assist all students, with an emphasis placed on students of color and diverse backgrounds, in their educational and personal transition and development at SUNY Potsdam. It is the expressed goal of the center to provide educational and social programs and services to help students meet their personal and professional goals. In its continued effort to afford students empowering opportunities, the center provides academic and personal advising as well as referral to other campus services. The center also coordinates diversity training sessions, skill development workshops and leadership opportunities to assist in the college-wide appreciation for multiculturalism and diversity.
- Provide services and opportunities to meet the academic and personal concerns of students of color and diverse backgrounds.
- Assist students of color and diverse backgrounds with problem solving by providing referral information to appropriate college sources including Financial Aid, Career Services, Counseling and faculty.
- Work collaboratively with the Division of Enrollment Management, offices of Admissions and Financial Aid and other offices to recruit and retain a diverse student population.
- Sponsor/support programs and activities that will enhance the educational experience of all students.
- Provide a forum for the discussion of multicultural interests, issues and concerns.
- Assist college committees to continue their leadership role in initiating and promoting multicultural programs and initiatives.
- Serve as a resource, facilitator, coordinator and provider of technical assistance for multicultural programs and initiatives.
- Serve as a resource for existing multicultural student organizations and assist in the development and establishment of future academic, service and social organizations to meet the growing needs of students of color and diverse backgrounds.
- Provide quality educational, cultural, and social programs through the The Center for Diversity, for the College and the North Country community.
- Serve as a Center of Emphasis for the SUNY System Northern Consortium Native American Initiative.