About the Greek Life Initiatives
- Despite the College investment in personnel, resources and educational programs, the trends in conduct violations has not changed.
- The College last convened a Greek Life Task Force in 1995-96.
- President Schwaller, along with the President’s Council, has called for the formation of another Greek Life Task Force.
- Nominations are now being accepted for members of the 2013 Greek Task Force (link).
- Comments for consideration/review by the Greek Task Force can be emailed to GreekTaskForce@potsdam.edu.
- To ensure the safety of our students, the President’s Council also approved, effective immediately, temporary regulations for new member education programs (or “pledging”) for Greek organizations for Spring 2013. The programs:
- Must only last three weeks in duration,
- Must only take place between 9 a.m. and midnight,
- Must only be offered in a public place on campus, and
- Modified plans must be submitted to Campus Life prior to beginning.
The devotion of SUNY Potsdam alumni to their respective Greek organizations, and their passion for and commitment to our alma mater, is fantastic and we will be relying on the entire Potsdam community as we move forward with a comprehensive review of Greek Life at the College. The bottom line is that some things have changed, and we encourage alumni to get all of the facts about Greek Life today and to continue to be part of the dialogue as our students’ safety and well being depends on it.