Policy for Health Fee Waivers
Student Health Services (SHS) at SUNY Potsdam is funded by the Mandatory Health Fee that each student must pay each semester. The fee pays for all the services provided by SHS, including direct medical care, health education programs, laboratory services, and administrative services.
Administrative services are used by students even if they are not attending the Potsdam campus. These services include the maintenance of their medical record and assuring they are in compliance with health regulations enacted by New York State and SUNY Potsdam. However, waiver of the mandatory health fee may be considered in some circumstances. A new waiver is required for each session a health fee is assessed.
Acceptable reasons to grant waivers include, but are not limited to:
- Student teaching in a district more than 50 miles from the Potsdam campus.
- Students studying abroad for a semester.
- Students enrolled at SUNY Potsdam but who are taking classes at affiliated facilities which are more than 50 miles from the Potsdam campus, as long as their residence is also more than 50 miles from the Potsdam campus.
- Exceptional circumstances as determined by the Director of Student Health Services.
Waivers will be denied if:
- The student is requesting a waiver because they have other insurance.
- The student is requesting a waiver because they have access to their own family physician.
- If the waiver request is made after:
- The close of Student Health Services on the last day of Add/Drop during the regular semester.
- The close of Student Health Services on the fifth day of classes during session in question (Winterim, summer sessions).
- Waivers requested after the deadline for their acceptance (see below).
- Under circumstances in which the Director of Student Health Services or the Student Health Advisory Council determine it is appropriate.
To obtain an application for waiving the health fee, please see: Request for Waiver of Mandatory Health Fee (PDF). You may also request a waiver at the Student Health Services office. The applications are to be sent to the Director of Student Health Services, who will determine whether the waiver is accepted or denied. The student will be notified of this decision by mail.
Students may appeal the Director’s decision by sending a request in writing to the Director. Deadline for appeals will be the last day of classes (not the last day of exams) for the session in which the waiver is requested. All appeals will be presented to the Student Health Advisory Council, which will make the final decision on whether the waiver is accepted or denied. The student will be notified by mail of the Council’s decision.