Mandatory Health Fee Policy
Student Health Services (SHS) at SUNY Potsdam is funded by the Mandatory Health Fee that each student must pay each semester. This is the only source of revenue for all of the services that SHS provides, including direct medical care, health education programs, laboratory services and administrative services.
Administrative services are used by students even if they are not attending the Potsdam campus. These services include the maintenance of their medical record and assuring they are in compliance with health regulations enacted by New York State and SUNY Potsdam. However, students may request a Release from the health fee in some circumstances. A new Release is required for each session a health fee is assessed.
Acceptable reasons to grant a Release include, but are not limited to:
- Student teaching in a district more than 50 miles from the Potsdam campus.
- Students studying abroad for a semester.
- Students enrolled at SUNY Potsdam but who are taking classes at affiliated facilities which are more than 50 miles from the Potsdam campus, as long as their residence is also more than 50 miles from the Potsdam campus.
- Exceptional circumstances as determined by the Director of Student Health Services.
Releases will be denied if:
- The student is requesting one because they have other insurance.
- The student is requesting a Release because they have access to their own family physician.
- If the Release request is made after:
- The close of Student Health Services on the last Friday of September for Fall semester, or the last Friday in February for the spring semester.
- The close of Student Health Services on the fifth day of classes during summer and winter sessions.
- Under circumstances in which the Director of Student Health Services or the Student Health Advisory Council determine it is appropriate.
Please submit the following form to SHS to be considered for a Release: Request for Release from Mandatory Health Fee. You may also request this form at the Student Health Services office. The applications are to be sent to the Director of Student Health Services, who will determine whether the waiver is accepted or denied. The student will be notified of this decision by mail.
Students may appeal the Director's decision by sending a request in writing to the Director. Deadline for appeals will be the last day of classes (not the last day of exams) for the session in which the Release is requested. All appeals will be presented to the Student Health Advisory Council, which will make the final decision on whether the waiver is accepted or denied. The student will be notified by mail of the Council's decision.