University Police are responsible for various services.
Security of Buildings and Grounds
- Security and access to on-campus facilities is controlled by key access. The University Police and the Physical Plant Department monitor all access to the campus facilities. This does not include any Greek letter organizations located off-campus.
- Residence halls are locked 24 hours a day.
- Extensive foot patrols are performed by University Police Officers through all of the campus buildings each day. A special emphasis is placed on foot patrols in the residence halls between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. In addition, door viewers have been installed in most residence hall rooms to increase safety and security.
- Other security considerations used in maintaining campus facilities include the checking of campus lighting by University Police and Physical Plant personnel. The Grounds Department checks areas which may be potentially dangerous and takes corrective action.
- University Police Officers provide 24-hour per day vehicle, bicycle, and foot patrols of campus properties owned by the college.
- Campus facilities are open to the public during the day and evening hours when classes are in session.
- After evening classes/functions and during times when the campus is officially closed, campus buildings are locked and only faculty, staff and students with written permission from their professors are admitted.
An outdoor blue emergency phone system has been installed on campus to make the reporting of serious incidents more efficient.
- Although SUNY Potsdam is a relatively safe campus, you may find it necessary to contact the University Police Department to report an emergency, a crime in progress, or a suspicious person or incident, request an escort or to ask directions.
- To report an incident, depress the clearly labeled "PUSH" button for a direct connection to the University Police.
- A location code allows the dispatcher to know which phone has been activated in case the caller is unable to speak. A patrol will be sent to the area immediately.
Jump Start Pack
The University Police Department will provide a portable jump start pack to anyone that needs to jump-start their car. All we need is your driver's license or college identification as a form of collateral, which allows us to keep track of the jump pack kits that we have on hand. If you should need to use this piece of equipment, please bring it back at your earliest convenience so that it will be available to others that need it.
If you lock your keys inside your vehicle, we may be able to help you. Although we do provide this service, we are not trained locksmiths; therefore, you will have to sign a release before we will attempt to gain entry into your vehicle. The College can't be held responsible for any damaged caused during this process.
To further enhance our mission to provide a safe and secure campus, University Police officers are available to walk with students requesting an escort to any campus location.
University Police will provide an armed escort for any department that needs assistance in transporting money around campus or to the bank. Please contact our office in advance of the transport to allow us to plan for appropriate support.
Delivery of Emergency Messages
Should you have the need to contact a student or faculty member on campus regarding an emergency, we can facilitate this process. Please be aware that we will try all venues possible (class rooms, residence halls, computer labs, dining facilities) to locate a person and that this process may take time.